your digital tour guide

Knockeen Portal Dolmen, Knockeen. co. Waterford. 4000-3000 b.c

The Knockeen portal tomb is one of Waterford’s outstanding monuments and ranks among the finest portal tombs in Ireland. It stands in the middle of a hedgerow bordering 2 fields standing at an impressive 3.5 metres (13 feet). This huge dolmen is of a slightly different design than others in the area with it’s large main capstone set almost level against a […]

Ducketts Grove, Rainstown. co. Carlow 1818-1850

These are the incredible ruins of Duckett’s Grove, located in Rainstown in co. Carlow. This great house was once home to the Duckett family who were the largest landowners in co. Carlow for 300 years with an estate covering more than 12,000 acres. It was originally a 2 story Georgian house however the famous architect Thomas Codden redesigned it in […]

St Bridget’s High Cross, Kildare Town. co.Kildare c.9th-12th

St Brigid’s High Cross stands 9 feet tall in the grounds of St Bridget’s Cathedral in Kildare Town. The cross is difficult to date because many of it’s granite features have worn away and the ring head is damaged. The grounds contain a number of fascinating links to it’s early history including a 110 foot round tower and St. Brigid’s […]

Gaulstown Dolmen, Gaulstown. co.Waterford. c.4000 b.c

The Gaulstown Portal Tomb is one of the finest dolmens in Ireland and was probably erected between 4000 – 3500b.c. It’s name is derived from the name of the townland and is situated at the foot of “Cnoc an Chaillighe” or “The Hill of the Hag”.  It’s east facing portal stones are an impressive 8 feet high and the capstone is 14 […]

Rathmullan Gun Battery (The Flight of the Earls Centre), Rathmullan. co.Donegal 1810

Rathmullan is a beautiful seaside village located on the western shore of the spectacular Fanad Peninsula. It’s name in Irish (Ráth Maoláin) means ‘Maoláin’s ringfort’. There are many historical sites in the area including the ruins of a Carmelite friary, Rathmullan House and the Napoleonic gun battery. Rathmullan was the scene of one of the most important turning points in Irish […]

Cahir Castle, Cahir. co.Tipperary 1142

Cahir Castle is one of Ireland’s largest castles and is strategically located on an island on the River Suir. The word Cahir in Irish actually means ‘stone fort’ and records show it was built in 1142 by Conor O’Brien, Prince of Thomond. In 1375 it came into the possession of the powerful Anglo-Norman Butler family who continued to rebuilt and extend it. Later […]

Ross Castle, Killarney. co.Kerry 1480

Ross Castle is located in a spectacular location on Ross Island by the shores of Lough Leane. It was built sometime in the late 15th century by the O’Donoghue Ross chieftains and is surrounded by a fortified bawn, curtain walls and circular flanking towers. The castle’s most famous episode occurred in 1652 when it was the last stronghold in Munster to hold […]

Swiss Cottage, Cahir. co.Tipperary 1810

The beautiful Swiss Cottage is a national monument as is regarded as one of the finest examples of a ‘cottage ornee’ in Europe. These fantasy houses were popular in the nineteenth century with ‘the gentry’ where they could play at being peasants and entertain their guests. It was built around 1810 for Richard Butler and his wife, Emily, Lord and Lady […]

Clare Abbey, Ennis. co.Clare 1195

Clare Abbey is situated on an elevated site beside the Fergus River and was the first, largest and most important Augustinian house in County Clare. It was founded in 1195 under the sponsorship of Domnall Mór O Brian, the King of Thomond and despite a turbulent history remained in use right up until the 17th century.  After the suppression of the […]

Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse, Old Head. co.Cork 1853

The Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse is located in one of Ireland’s most spectacular coastal areas. This large promontory juts out into the Atlantic Ocean rising hundreds of feet above the water and is now one of the most prestigious golf courses on the planet: The Old Head Golf Links. There are references to a lighted beacon at this location in […]

Charles Fort, Kinsale. co.Cork 1682

Charles Fort is located on the hillside entrance of the harbour overlooking the picturesque town of Kinsale. It is a classic example of a late 17th century star-shaped fort and one of the largest military installations in the country.  It is named after King Charles II of England and was designed by Sir William Robinson (architect of the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham) to specifically […]

Skellig Michael, Kerry. 6th-12th centuries

This incredible UNESCO World Heritage Site is the early Christian monastery of Skellig Michael. It is located 13 km off the Kerry coastline at an altitude of 600 feet and is one of the most dramatic examples of ‘extreme Christian monasticism’ in Europe. Tradition attributes the foundation of the monastery to St Finan between the 6th and 8th centuries a.d. These […]