Bective Abbey is located in Bective in county Meath. This national monument was founded in 1147 by the King of Meath and was the second Cistercian abbey built after the more famous Mellifont Abbey. Hugh de Lacy, the famous and powerful Norman who built Trim Castle was buried here in 1195, but after a dispute it was transferred to St Thomas’ church in Dublin. Much of the building was altered for defensive reasons in the 15th century making it look more like a castle. By the time all of the alterations were completed, Bective had become the most fortified Cistercian monastery in Ireland. The abbey closed down in 1536 after The Suppression of the Monasteries under Henry VIII. It’s ownership was then transferred to an English civil servant employed by the Dublin government who built a massive manor house and 2 towers around the old cloister court. The cloisters are however beautifully preserved and include a fantastic carved pillar of an Abbot with a crozier kneeling on one of the cloister pillars. It was more recently used as a location in the movie Braveheart.