Blog Full Width

The only sculptured 15th century high altar to survive in Ireland

Sligo Abbey, located in Sligo Town, was built by Maurice Fitzgerald for the Dominicans in 1252. The site contains a great wealth of carvings including Gothic and Renaissance tomb sculpture, well preserved cloisters and the only sculptured 15th century high altar to survive in the country. [...]

World famous gardens, Friendly seals & An island paradise

Garinish Island also known as 'Ilnacullin' or 'Island of Holly' is located in the sheltered harbour of Glengarriff in Bantry Bay in west Cork. The micro climate in this bay is caused by the warmer currents of the Gulf Stream which has created a little piece of [...]

A castle to rival Balmoral in a spectacular location, Marilyn Monroe and Evictions

Glenveagh Castle is located in the stunning Glenveagh National Park in co.Donegal. It was built between 1867 and 1873 by Captain John Adair who tried to recreate a castle retreat better than Balmoral. He was also responsible for evicting 224 tenants from his land, a job which involved [...]

An ancient passage tomb with some of the finest vistas in Ireland

Seefin Passage Tomb is located on a hilltop 1700 feet above sea level near Kilbride in county Wicklow. This national monument dates to somewhere between 3300 to 3000 b.c. The tomb's name in Irish 'Suidh Fhionn' translates to 'The Seat of Fionn' and it gets mentioned [...]

Once the site of a 7th century monastery, A Cistercian abbey & A convent

Moore Abbey, Monasterevin. co.Kildare was built in 1767. This was originally the site of the 7th century monastery of St Evin. In the 12th century it became a rich and powerful Cistercian Monastery and after the suppression of the monasteries it was granted to Lord Audley, [...]

By | April 6th, 2017|Categories: co. Kildare, Georgian 1720 > 1840, Leinster, Monuments & Curiosities|Tags: |0 Comments

Site of the earliest known Irish Parliament & The oldest intact stone window in Western Europe

Castledermot, co.Kildare packs a punch for historical buildings. This small town takes it's name from 'Diseart Diarmad' meaning 'Dermot's Hermitage'. It must have been a very important ecclesiastical centre as there are many fine ruins including the remains of a round tower, 2 Celtic crosses, an [...]