Leinster

this is the leinster category

Seefin Passage Tomb, Kilbride. co.Wicklow c.3300-3000 b.c

This national monument is the Neolithic Seefin Passage Tomb built around 5000 years ago on a 650m high mountain in North Wicklow. It's name in Irish (Suidh Fhionn) means "The Seat of Fionn" and these [...]

Moore Abbey, Monasterevin. co.Kildare 1767

Moore Abbey stands on an ancient site that was originally the 7th century monastery of St Evin. In the 12th century it became a rich and powerful Cistercian Monastery and after the suppression of the [...]

Castledermot, co.Kildare. c.10th Round Tower, c.9th Crosses and c.12th Friary

The small town of Castledermot in south Kildare takes it's name from 'Diseart Diarmad' meaning 'Dermot's Hermitage'. It must have been a very important ecclesiastical centre as there are many fine ruins including the remains [...]

Kilmogue (Harristown) Dolmen, Mullinavat. co.Kilkenny. c.3000-4000 b.c

This impressive dolmen is the Kilmogue Portal Tomb located on the eastern slopes of Brown Mountain, about 3 miles from the village of Mullinavat in co. Kilkenny. The name "Kilmogue" derives its name from the [...]

Clonmines Medieval Borough, Wellington Bridge. co.Wexford c.13th-16th centuries

This interesting site is one of the best preserved and much over-looked medieval towns in Ireland. Clonmines probably began it's life as a Norman settlement established by William Marshall in the 13th century as an [...]

Ninch Barrow Mound, Laytown. co.Meath c.400 a.d?

This mound located on the right hand side of the road between Julianstown and Laytown stands nearly 20 feet high and is 75 feet in diameter. It sits beside a modern bungalow and resembles a [...]

Ducketts Grove, Rainstown. co. Carlow 1818-1850

These are the incredible ruins of Duckett's Grove, located in Rainstown in co. Carlow. This great house was once home to the Duckett family who were the largest landowners in co. Carlow for 300 years [...]

St Bridget’s High Cross, Kildare Town. co.Kildare c.9th-12th (Cill Dara-Church of the Oak)

St Brigid's High Cross stands 9 feet tall in the grounds of St Bridget's Cathedral in Kildare Town. The cross is difficult to date because many of it's granite features have worn away and the [...]

Clonyn Castle, Delvin. co.Westmeath 1876

Sir Gilbert de Nugent, originally from the Nogent-le-Rotrou area in France, came to Ireland with his brother-in-law Hugh de Lacy in 1171. He was granted the title Baron of Delvin within the Lordship of Meath. [...]

Delvin Castle, Delvin. co.Westmeath c.1310

Located in the middle of Delvin village are the remains of Delvin Castle. This was once a sturdy Norman castle with a square block in the middle and 4 corner cylindrical towers at each corner, [...]

Athcarne Castle, Balrath. co.Meath 1590

This foreboding looking building is Athcarne Castle. It was built for William Bathe in 1590. The Bathe family produced a number of well known legal and political personalities around the 16th and 17th century. It [...]

Taghadoe Round Tower, Taghadoe. co.Kildare c.10th Century

Taghadoe derives its name from 'Teach Tua', meaning House of Tua. St Tua, also known as Ultan the Silent, was the abbot of Clonmacnoise who founded the monastery here. Little is known of it except [...]

Leixlip Castle, Leixlip. co.Kildare 1172

Leixlip Castle was built in 1172 by Adam de Hereford, a follower of Strongbow, one year after the Norman Invasion of Ireland. It is one of the oldest continuously-inhabited buildings in Ireland. Leixlip means 'salmon [...]

Barberstown Castle, Straffan. co.Kildare c.1500 on earlier Norman site

The original castle on this site was built by Nicholas Barby in 1288 on land owned by the Norman Fitzgerald family. Over the next 800 years it has passed into the ownership of 37 different [...]

The Anchorite Cell Chapel, Fore. co.Westmeath c.1830 on earlier site

This little building is the Anchorite Cell Chapel and is part of the Fore Abbey complex. The original church here was founded by St Feichin in 630 and the abbey later expanded to have up [...]

The Molly Malone Statue, Grafton Street (now removed). Dublin City 1988

The Molly Malone Statue was designed by Jeanne Rynhart and based on a popular song of a 17th century fictional character to celebrate Dublin's first millennium in 1988. It tells the tale of a fishmonger [...]

Dowth Passage Tomb, Dowth. co.Meath c.2500 – 2000 b.c

Dowth, which means 'darkness', is one of the 3 principle passage tombs of the Brú na Bóinne World Heritage Site (The other 2 being Newgrange and Knowth). It dates from c.2500 b.c and shares a [...]

The German Military Cemetery, Glencree. co.Wicklow 1945

The German Military Cemetery, located beside the Glencree centre for Peace and Reconciliation in the Wicklow Mountains. This was originally a quarry owned by Lord Powerscourt to supply the nearby military barracks. Although Ireland positioned [...]

Medieval Museum Waterford, Waterford City. co.Waterford 2013

The Medieval Museum of Waterford is now the city's number one visitors attraction. This stunning new museum brings Waterford’s fascinating history to life and is Ireland’s only purpose-built medieval museum and the only building on [...]

White’s Castle, Athy. co.Kildare 1417

White's Castle was built in 1417 by Sir John Talbot, Viceroy of Ireland, to protect the inhabitants of Athy from the 'wild Irish'. This location on the banks of the River Barrow has been an [...]

Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin City – founded c.1028

Christ Church Cathedral, founded in c.1028 is one of the finest historical buildings in Ireland. Sitric Silkbeard, (the first Christian Danish king) built a wooden church here in c.1028 as this location was the most [...]

Anna Livia Sculpture, Croppies Memorial Park. Dublin City 1988

The Anna Livia sculpture was originally located on O'Connell Street but was removed in 2001 to make room for the Dublin Spire. She was then 'cleaned up and scrubbed' and relocated to the Croppies Memorial [...]

Stillorgan Obelisk, Newtown-Park. co. Dublin 1727

The Stillorgan Obelisk built in 1729, is possibly the first obelisk to be built in Ireland. It was on the grounds of Stillorgan Park House by Lord Allen who commissioned the famous architect Edward Lovett [...]

Fore Abbey, Fore. co. Westmeath 1180

The beautiful Fore Abbey was founded in 1180 by the Norman, Hugh de Lacy and is one of the best preserved Benedictine Abbeys in Ireland. The original church on this site was founded 500 years [...]

Athcarne Cross, Balrath. co. Meath c.1675

The Athcarne Cross is located close to the historic village of Duleek, County Meath, Ireland. This national monument was erected circa 1675 as a memorial to Sir Luke Bathe and his wife, Dame Cecilia Dowdall, [...]

Puck’s Castle, Rathmichael. co. Dublin c.1520

These are the ruins of Puck's Castle, located in south county Dublin. Many of these structures were built around Dublin between 1400 and 1550 to protect the 'Pale' from the 'wild Irish'. Other similar structures [...]

Beaulieu House, Drogheda. co. Louth 1680

The beautiful Beaulieu House, located 3 miles from the town of Drogheda is a rare example of a late c.17th mansion that stills exists in Ireland without alterations. This was originally the site of a [...]

Drimnagh Castle, Drimnagh. co. Dublin – 1240 (much altered over the years)

Drimnagh Castle, located in south Dublin is one of a few moated castles in Ireland. The original castle here was built around 1240 by a Norman Knight called Hugo de Berneval whose family name was [...]

Monkstown Castle, Monkstown. co.Dublin c.1450

The first castle here was built by the Cistercian Monks of St Mary’s Abbey at the centre of a large farm between the 14th and 15th centuries. This area was at the border of the [...]

Slade Castle, Slade. co.Wexford. c.1470

Slade castle is located in the picturesque fishing village of Slade on the Hook Peninsula in Co. Wexford. The original fort was built by the Laffin family in the late 1400s who continued to develop [...]

Trim Castle, Trim. co. Meath – 1176 (Baile Átha Troim-Town at the ford of elderflowers)

Trim Castle is not only the earliest stone castle to be built in Ireland but is also the largest Norman Castle in Europe. It was built in 1176 by Hugh de Lacy and his son [...]

Kilmashogue Wedge Tomb. Kilmashogue. co. Dublin. c.2000 b.c

The Kilmashogue Wedge Tomb is located half way up the Dublin Mountains near the car park of the Kilmashogue Recreation Area. The tomb dates from about 2000 b.c and would have originally been much larger [...]

Marlay House, Marlay Park. co. Dublin – 1764

Marlay House is located in 300 acres of the parklands in south Dublin. The origins of this estate can be traced back to the Anglo Norman conquest of Ireland.  The original house here was built [...]

The O’Connell Monument, O’Connell St. Dublin City -1880 (Dubh Linn-‘Black Pool’)

This Statue was built to commemorate 'the liberator' Daniel O'Connell (1775- 1847) after whom the street was also renamed after Irish independence. O'Connell was born in Kerry and believed in employing peaceful tactics to achieve [...]

Rathmichael Cross, Rathmichael. co. Dublin – 12th century

The Rathmichael Cross is one of 4 distinct looking crosses known as the Fassaroe Crosses. They are generally wheel shaped with a depiction of the crucifixion scene and are often mistaken for each other. They [...]

Ireland’s Eye, North County Dublin

Ireland's Eye lies off the coast north of Howth Harbour. In pre-Christian times it was called Eria's Island and the Vikings substituted the word Island with Ey (their Norse equivalent) and so it became known [...]

Site of The Battle of the Boyne, Oldbridge. co.Meath – 1690

This is the location where The Battle of the Boyne took place between King William of Orange and his father-in-law, King James II. It was was fought on 1 July 1690 (11 July according to [...]

Gibney’s Pub, Malahide Village. co. Dublin – 1890

Gibney's has the charm and feel of a proper authentic Irish Pub. The pub was previously known as The Abercorn Tavern since 1890 but the name was changed in 1937 when James Joseph Gibney bought [...]

Newgrange, Donore. co.Meath 3200 b.c

This UNESCO World Heritage Site is Newgrange, the 'Mother Ship' of all Irish ancient monuments. It is part of a complex of at least 35 similar type monuments built along a bend of the River [...]

Dunsoghly Castle, St.Margarets. co.Dublin c.1450

This national monument is the impressive Dunsoghly Castle located only about 2 miles from the runway of Dublin Airport. It is one of the few 15th century fortified tower houses in Ireland to have survived intact. [...]

The Baily Lighthouse, Howth. co. Dublin 1814

The Baily Lighthouse is located on a rocky promontory over looking Dublin Bay. It was at this location that the Norse Vikings fled to regroup after the Battle of Clontarf in 1014 and was also [...]

Harbour Lighthouse, Howth. co. Dublin 1817

Howth Harbour Lighthouse, built in 1817, is located at the end of Howth Harbour. The building, was also used for defensive purposes as the strong circular wall defends a gun position. The lighthouse keeper’s residence [...]

The Round Tower of St Mary’s Abbey, Ferns. co. Wexford c.12th century

This is the 60 foot Round Tower of St Mary's Abbey in Ferns. The first church at this location was founded in the 7th century by St Aidan and later became vulnerable to Viking attacks in [...]

Scarawalsh Bridge, Scarawalsh. co.Wexford 1795

Scarawalsh Bridge is a well known landmark located between Enniscorthy and Ferns in co. Wexford. This 6 arch humpback road bridge spans the river Slaney and is located in the townland of Scarawalsh. It was [...]

Humewood Castle, Kiltegan. co. Wicklow – 1870

Humewood Castle is a large Gothic-fantasy mansion built in 1870 in 427 acres of parkland as the private residence of the Hume family. This 3-story 12 bedroom mansion is flanked with towers and has all [...]

Howth Martello Tower, Howth. north co.Dublin – 1805

The Martello Tower in Howth is strategically located overlooking Howth Harbour and out beyond the bay to Ireland's Eye. The fear of an invasion by Napoleon Bonaparte reached panic proportions at the end of the [...]

Clontarf Castle Gatehouse, Clontarf. co. Dublin 1837

This is the beautiful gatehouse for Clontarf Castle which along with the castle were totally remodeled in the 1830's. The original castle was built by the Norman, Hugh de Lacy, in 1172 near the site [...]

St Mary’s Cathedral, Kilkenny City. co. Kilkenny 1859

St. Mary’s Cathedral is situated on the highest point in Kilkenny City and dominates the landscape with it's beautiful 186 foot tower. Before the arrival of Cromwell in 1650 the Catholic congregation of Kilkenny celebrated [...]

Load More Posts