Dublin – South County

south county dublin locations of images

Stillorgan Obelisk, Newtown-Park. co. Dublin 1727

The Stillorgan Obelisk built in 1729, is possibly the first obelisk to be built in Ireland. It was on the grounds of Stillorgan Park House by Lord Allen who commissioned the famous architect Edward Lovett [...]

Puck’s Castle, Rathmichael. co. Dublin c.1520

These are the ruins of Puck's Castle, located in south county Dublin. Many of these structures were built around Dublin between 1400 and 1550 to protect the 'Pale' from the 'wild Irish'. Other similar structures [...]

Drimnagh Castle, Drimnagh. co. Dublin – 1240 (much altered over the years)

Drimnagh Castle, located in south Dublin is one of a few moated castles in Ireland. The original castle here was built around 1240 by a Norman Knight called Hugo de Berneval whose family name was [...]

Monkstown Castle, Monkstown. co.Dublin c.1450

The first castle here was built by the Cistercian Monks of St Mary’s Abbey at the centre of a large farm between the 14th and 15th centuries. This area was at the border of the [...]

Marlay House, Marlay Park. co. Dublin – 1764

Marlay House is located in 300 acres of the parklands in south Dublin. The origins of this estate can be traced back to the Anglo Norman conquest of Ireland.  The original house here was built [...]

Rathmichael Cross, Rathmichael. co. Dublin – 12th century

The Rathmichael Cross is one of 4 distinct looking crosses known as the Fassaroe Crosses. They are generally wheel shaped with a depiction of the crucifixion scene and are often mistaken for each other. They [...]

Dalkey Island, South County Dublin

The 22 acre island of Dalkey lies less than 300 metres off the south Dublin coastline near the village of Dalkey. It gets it's name from a meld of the Irish deilg ("thorn") and the [...]

Ballybrack Dolmen, Ballybrack. co.Dublin – 2500 b.c

The Ballybrack Dolmen is oddly located in the middle of a housing estate in south county Dublin. The granite capstone which has beautiful shiny quartz through it measures 1.5m X 1.5m and weighs approx 12 [...]

Rathmichael Church of Ireland, Rathmichael. co.Dublin – 1865

Rathmichael is now an sleepy suburban area of South Dublin lying between the mountains and the sea. This area was however once a highly important area in both pre and early Christian times as it [...]

Parish of Kilternan Church, Kilternan. co.Dublin 1826 (Cill Tiarnáin-Church of Tiarnán)

This beautiful church, built in 1826  was designed by the famous Dublin architect John Semple. Semple was the leading architect in Dublin during the 1820's and 1830's. Many of his designs are in the 'late [...]

Kilgobbin Church & c.10th High Cross, Stepaside. co.Dublin – 1707

This little church is steeped in history and is located in the village of Stepaside on the foot of the Dublin Mountains. It was built in 1707 on an ancient pre-Norman site where a wooden [...]

Ballycorus Lead Mine, Shankill. co.Dublin – 1807

The Ballychorus Lead Mine Tower was built in 1807 after a vein of lead was found within this hill. It is the only example left in Ireland and is regarded as one of the finest [...]

The Bottle Tower, Churchtown. co.Dublin – 1741

This odd looking building is locally known as 'The Bottle Tower' and is located in Churchtown, South Dublin. It was built in reaction to the 1740/1 famine which ravished Ireland and many parts of Europe. [...]

Martello Tower No. 7, Killiney Hill. co.Dublin – 1804

This is Martello Tower No. 7 located on Killiney Hill in South County Dublin. It is one of about fifty Martellos built by the British. Many were were built along our eastern coastline from Drogheda [...]

Dalkey Castle and Heritage Centre, Dalkey. co.Dublin – c.15th century

Dalkey is one of the prettiest and most exclusive villages in Ireland. It was once noted for it's seven castles of which only two remain, this one, and Archibald's Castle on the other side of [...]

White Church, Ballyboden. co.Dublin – 1827

Whitechurch is located at the back of Marlay Park at the foot of the Dublin mountains. It derives it's name from a small white church in Kilmashogue, built in the proximity of an ancient Cairn [...]

The Pearse Museum, Rathfarnham. co.Dublin – 1786

The Pearse Museum which was formerly an Irish speaking school named 'St. Enda's' is an 18th century house situated in scenic parkland near Rathfarnham in south Dublin. It is dedicated to the memory of the [...]

Rathfarnham Castle, Rathfarnham. co.Dublin – 1583

Rathfarnham Castle was built in 1585 by Adam Loftus, Archbishop of Armagh. This is one of the finest examples of what is described as a 'fortified manor house' in Ireland. It's 4 flanker towers, instead [...]

The Telegraph Tower, Dalkey Hill. co.Dublin – 1807

This Tower was built in 1807 and is located above Dalkey Quarry. It is known as 'The Telegraph Tower' and was used for communicating with all the other Martello Towers along the coast and also [...]

The Pyramid of Dublin, Killiney Hill. co.Dublin – 1852

If you want a great view of Dublin Bay all the way along Sorrento Terrace, Dalkey Island and out to Bray Head - this is the place. 'The Pyramid of Dublin' is an odd stepped [...]

Clondalkin Round Tower, Clondalkin Village. co.Dublin – c.9th century a.d

This beautiful round tower is built on the site of a monastery founded by St Mochua in the 7th century. It is one of only four remaining in County Dublin, the others are located in [...]

The UCD Watertower, Belfield. co.Dublin – 1972

This 'futuristic' looking structure is the UCD Watertower. It stands at 197 ft (60m) and was constructed to provide constant water pressure to all the buildings for University College Dublin. It was built in 1972 [...]

Finnegan’s Pub, Dalkey. co.Dublin – est.1862

This famous pub is located in Dalkey; one of Ireland's most beautiful villages. It was built around 1862 during the Victorian era and still manages to combine modern with an old world charm. It's also [...]

Poolbeg Chimneys, Ringsend. Dublin City – 1971 and 1977

The Poolbeg Chimneys are well known landmarks in Dublin standing over 680 feet (207 metres) making them some of the tallest structures in Ireland. They have been used as back drops to some of Dublin's [...]

Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland, Clonskeagh. Dublin City – 1996

This is The Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland (ICCI) is located in Clonskea, South Dublin next to University College Dublin. It was designed by the Irish architect firm, Michael Collins & Associates. The layout is [...]

Radisson Blu St Helen’s Hotel, Stillorgan. co.Dublin 1750

The 5* Radisson Blu St Helen's Hotel in Dublin was once one of Ireland's most magnificent private houses. It was built in 1750 as a home for the Dublin barrister Thomas Cooley who was also [...]

Killiney Obelisk, Killliney Hill. co.Dublin – 1742

The Killiney Obelisk, located in a stunning location on Killiney Hill, commemorates a sad event in Ireland's history. It was commissioned by John Malpas (a wealthy Catholic who had previously owned this land) in response [...]

Kilgobbin Castle, Stepaside. co.Dublin – c.1476

Kilgobbin Castle is located near the village of Stepaside. It was built around 1476 by the Walshe family who were 'marcher lords' of the area and controlled extensive tracts of lands in South Dublin. These [...]

Our Lady of the Wayside Church, Kilternan. co.Dublin-1929 (Cill Tiarnáin-Church of Tiarnán)

Our Lady of the Wayside Church is locally known as 'The Blue Church' after is Marian colour. It was built entirely out of timber in 1929 and is similar in style to churches found in [...]

Monkstown Parish Church, Monkstown. co.Dublin – built 1789 (remodelled 1825)

This incredible building is Monkstown Parish Church. It was built in 1789 but was remodelled in 1825 by the famous architect John Semple. It's style is described as 'castellated Gothic with Moorish influences' and has [...]

Kilgobbin Cross, Stepaside. co.Dublin – 10th century a.d

This national monument is Kilgobbin Cross located in Stepaside village. It was found in 1800 when a wall for the nearby graveyard was being built. It stands over 8 feet tall and can be estimated [...]

St Maelruan’s Church, Tallaght. co.Dublin c.15th a.d. (Tamh Leacht -‘plague pit’)

St Maelruan's Church located in the most historic part of Tallaght was designed by the famous Dublin architect, John Semple. Christian worship has continued on this site for over 1200 years since St Maelruan founded [...]

Load More Posts