co. Wicklow

images of locations in county wicklow

Seefin Passage Tomb, Kilbride. co.Wicklow c.3300-3000 b.c

This national monument is the Neolithic Seefin Passage Tomb built around 5000 years ago on a 650m high mountain in North Wicklow. It's name in Irish (Suidh Fhionn) means "The Seat of Fionn" and these [...]

The German Military Cemetery, Glencree. co.Wicklow 1945

The German Military Cemetery, located beside the Glencree centre for Peace and Reconciliation in the Wicklow Mountains. This was originally a quarry owned by Lord Powerscourt to supply the nearby military barracks. Although Ireland positioned [...]

Humewood Castle, Kiltegan. co. Wicklow – 1870

Humewood Castle is a large Gothic-fantasy mansion built in 1870 in 427 acres of parkland as the private residence of the Hume family. This 3-story 12 bedroom mansion is flanked with towers and has all [...]

The Glencree Centre for Peace and Reconciliation, Glencree. co.Wicklow 1806

The Glencree Centre for Peace and Reconciliation was originally constructed by the British Army as a barracks in 1806. They were built in response to the Irish Rebellion of 1798 and the French Wars of [...]

The most easterly point on the mainland of Ireland > Wicklow Head Lighthouse

This lighthouse, built in 1871 was originally part of a pair. Their architect, John Trail, had previously designed the Grand Canal in Dublin and was given the task to construct 2 lighthouses at this location [...]

Ireland’s highest waterfall – Powerscourt Waterfall, Powerscourt Estate. co.Wicklow

The Waterfall at Powerscourt is Ireland's highest at 121m (398ft) and is set in the Powerscourt Estate at the foothills of the Wicklow Mountains. This is one of Ireland's most beautiful parklands set in a [...]

Knocksink Bridge, Enniskerry. co. Wicklow – 1859

Not many people are are aware whilst driving into Enniskerry that they passing over Knocksink Bridge. When it was built in 1859 it was Ireland's highest bridge at over 150 feet, an amazing feat of [...]

Russborough House, Blessington. co. Wicklow – 1741

Russborough is often referred to as Ireland's most beautiful house. It is also Ireland's longest, with a facade of over 700 feet in length. It was designed by Richard Cassels, one of the greatest architects [...]

Derrybawn Bridge, Laragh. co.Wicklow – 1700 (An Láithreach – ‘the site/ruins of a building’)

This fine stone bridge was built circa 1700. It takes you over the Glandassan River to the Woolen Mills in Laragh. The Woollen Mills sells locally made traditional sweaters, capes and caps and knitted blankets [...]

Avondale House, Rathdrum. Co.Wicklow – 1777

Avondale House was the birthplace and home of Charles Stewart Parnell (1846 -1891) one of the greatest political leaders in Irish history. The house was originally built for Samuel Hayes in 1777 but when he [...]

Avondale House Gatelodge, Rathdrum. co.Wicklow – 1777

This is the eccentric looking building is the gate lodge for Avondale House - the birthplace and home of Charles Stewart Parnell (1846 -1891). It was probably designed by the famous English architect James Wyatt [...]

St Patrick’s Parish Church, Enniskerry. co.Wicklow -1859

This is the beautiful St Patrick's Parish Church located in Enniskerry village. It was built by Mervyn Wingfield, 7th Viscount Powerscourt in 1859 in response to the Protestant population of the village not having a [...]

The Old Forge, Enniskerry. co.Wicklow – 1855

This pretty little building was built as a forge by the Wingfield family of Powerscourt. Coach travel was the most common form of transport in the 19th century and many wealthy Dubliners and Victorian holiday [...]

Vartry Resevoir Tower, Roundwood. co.Wicklow – 1923

The Vartry Reservoir  is located at Roundwood in County Wicklow.  The original (lower) reservoir was completed in 1863, and has a capacity of 11.3 billion litres and a maximum depth of 18.3 meters. A second [...]

Powerscourt House, Enniskerry. co.Wicklow – 1741

Powerscourt House was built in 1741 and is one of Ireland's finest mansions. It is situated in exquisite formal gardens under the watch of Sugar loaf Mountain. It was designed by the famous German architect [...]

Enniskerry Clock Tower, Enniskerry. co.Wicklow – 1843

Enniskerry Village (Ath na Sceire ‘Ford of the Stones’) was built as part of Powerscourt Estate to house its tenants who worked the land in the area. The village was designed and laid out by [...]

Wicklow Head Lighthouse, Wicklow Town. co.Wicklow – 1781(Cill Mhantáin -‘Church of the Toothless One’)

This lighthouse, built in 1871 was originally part of a pair. Their architect, John Trail, who had previously designed the Grand Canal in Dublin was given the task to construct 2 lighthouses at this location. [...]

The Round Tower, Glendalough. co.Wicklow – c.10th century a.d (Gleann dá Loch-‘Valley of Two Lakes’)

The Round Tower at Glendalough stands 100 feet high and is one of Ireland's most iconic buildings. Round towers were mainly built between the 9th and 12th centuries and only 3 exist beyond our borders [...]

St Kevin’s Church, Glendalough. co.Wicklow – c.12th a.d (Gleann dá Loch-‘Valley of Two Lakes’)

St Kevin's Church is located in the stunning setting of Glendalough. Kevin (or Chaoimhin – the fair-begotten) was born in 498 into a noble family and after studying for the priesthood set out to find his [...]

Load More Posts