Dublin – North County

this is the category for all locations in north county dublin

Ireland’s Eye, North County Dublin

Ireland's Eye lies off the coast north of Howth Harbour. In pre-Christian times it was called Eria's Island and the Vikings substituted the word Island with Ey (their Norse equivalent) and so it became known [...]

Gibney’s Pub, Malahide Village. co. Dublin – 1890

Gibney's has the charm and feel of a proper authentic Irish Pub. The pub was previously known as The Abercorn Tavern since 1890 but the name was changed in 1937 when James Joseph Gibney bought [...]

Dunsoghly Castle, St.Margarets. co.Dublin c.1450

This national monument is the impressive Dunsoghly Castle located only about 2 miles from the runway of Dublin Airport. It is one of the few 15th century fortified tower houses in Ireland to have survived intact. [...]

The Baily Lighthouse, Howth. co. Dublin 1814

The Baily Lighthouse is located on a rocky promontory over looking Dublin Bay. It was at this location that the Norse Vikings fled to regroup after the Battle of Clontarf in 1014 and was also [...]

Harbour Lighthouse, Howth. co. Dublin 1817

Howth Harbour Lighthouse, built in 1817, is located at the end of Howth Harbour. The building, was also used for defensive purposes as the strong circular wall defends a gun position. The lighthouse keeper’s residence [...]

Howth Martello Tower, Howth. north co.Dublin – 1805

The Martello Tower in Howth is strategically located overlooking Howth Harbour and out beyond the bay to Ireland's Eye. The fear of an invasion by Napoleon Bonaparte reached panic proportions at the end of the [...]

Clontarf Castle Gatehouse, Clontarf. co. Dublin 1837

This is the beautiful gatehouse for Clontarf Castle which along with the castle were totally remodeled in the 1830's. The original castle was built by the Norman, Hugh de Lacy, in 1172 near the site [...]

Swords Round Tower & Belfrey, Swords. co. Dublin – c.10th-14th a.d. (Sord-‘clear or pure’)

The 10th century Swords Round Tower is 26 m high and is instantly recognizable from it's crumbling windows and collapsed cap. The tower also possesses a stone cross at it's apex, something that is shared [...]

Tower no.6 Balcarrick, Portrane Beach. co. Dublin 1804

Martello Towers were built around the coasts of Ireland and Britain in 1804 to thwart any plans Napoleon had to invade these islands. In 1803 an Act of Parliament to make provision for the proposed [...]

Swords Castle, Swords. co.Dublin c.1200 (Sord-‘clear or pure’)

In 1181 John Comyn succeeded Laurence O'Toole as the 1st Anglo-Norman Archbishop of Dublin and it appears that he chose Swords as his chief residence. This castle was built as his manorial residence and was [...]

Portrane Round Tower, Portrane. co. Dublin 1844

Many of the Round Towers in the Fingal region can date back to the Viking era with the likes of Lusk and St Columba’s tower in Swords which are regarded as two of the finest [...]

Lambay Island – off North County Dublin

Lambay lies 4km off the north County Dublin coast and is the easternmost point of Ireland. It covers 2.5km sq and has steeps cliffs on it's north, south and eastern sides and is low lying [...]

Newbridge House, Donabate. co.Dublin – 1736

Newbridge House is a beautiful perfect example of an early Georgian mansion. It was built in 1736 for the Archbishop Charles Cobb and designed by the famous Irish architect George Semple (1700-1782) and the Scottish [...]

Ardgillan Castle, Balbriggan. co.Dublin – 1738

Ardgillan Castle is located in a beautiful setting overlooking the town of Skerries and has spectacular views out to the Irish Sea and up to the Mourne Mountains in co. Down. The name 'Ardgillan' is [...]

St Doulagh’s Church, Cross and Baptistry, Balgriffin. co.Dublin – c.12th century a.d

St Doulagh's Church is Ireland's oldest stone-roofed church that is still in use today. The complex also comprises of a stone pool-house and an octagonal structure which is also Ireland's only surviving standalone baptistry. The [...]

St Mary’s Abbey, Howth. co.Dublin – c.14th century a.d

The beautiful village of Howth is located in north county Dublin. The area has strong Viking connections and it's name is derived from the old Norse name for 'Head'. King Sitric, the Norse Viking King [...]

Carrick Hill Martello Tower, Portmarnock. co.Dublin – 1805

This Martello tower was built in 1805 as part of the British strategy in Ireland to prevent a  French invasion. The Martello tower design was copied by the British from a tower in Sicily and [...]

St Doulagh’s Cross, Balgriffin. co.Dublin – 12th century a.d

This small stone cross is located at the entrance to St Dowlagh's Church in Balgriffin, co. Dublin. It must have been transferred from somewhere else or may have been given as a gift as it [...]

Howth Presbyterian Church, Howth. co.Dublin – 1898

This church was built in 1898 to meet the needs of Scottish fishermen in the last century. It is described as 'Gothic in style, with a castellated 3-stage tower to the north, transepts to the [...]

The Cock Tavern, Howth. co.Dublin – est c.1780

The Cock Tavern is on Church Street near the ruins of Howth Abbey. It has a an authentic Irish feel with friendly locals, good staff and a nice open fire. I included this for the [...]

The Abbey Tavern, Howth. co.Dublin – est.15th century

The Abbey Tavern nestles against the ancient ruins of Howth Abbey, which dates back to the 11th century. The Tavern itself dates back to the 15th Century, when it was built for the local monks [...]

Howth Castle, Howth. co.Dublin – built c.1450 on an earlier site

Howth Castle has been the private residence of the Gaisford - St Lawrence family for over 800 years since 1177. It has its origins in medieval times when Almeric, the first Lord of Howth, came [...]

St Doulagh’s Baptistry, Balgriffin. co.Dublin – c.12th century

This octagonal structure is Ireland's only surviving standalone baptistry. It covers an underground spring which leads to an open air body of water called St Catherine's Pond. It is located on the grounds of St [...]

Baldongan Church and Tower, Skerries. co.Dublin – c.13th century a.d

This national monument are the ruins of a fortified church constructed by the Knights Templar in the 13th century. It is located between Lusk and Skerries in north co. Dublin. A castle which lay adjacent [...]

Malahide Castle, Malahide. co.Dublin – 1185 enlarged 1470

This castle was built as a large fortress in 1185 by Sir Richard Talbot, a knight who accompanied King Henry II to Ireland. It was was occupied by the Talbot family between 1185 until 1973 making it the longest continuosly inhabited castle in Ireland by the same family. On the morning of the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, 14 members of the family sat and had breakfast together for the last time as none of them returned. It was considerably enlarged during the reign of Edward IV around 1470 and the towers were added in 1765. Dublin County Council bought the property and the 265 acres in 1975 giving public access to one of the finest period interiors and beautiful botanical gardens.

Skerries Martello Tower, Skerries. co.Dublin – 1805

The name Skerries comes from the Norse word 'sceir', meaning reef or rocky islands. This area has extensive views up along the east coast to the Mourne Mountains and down the coast to Howth and [...]

The Great Windmill, Skerries. co.Dublin – 1750

This windmill, known as 'The Great Windmill of Skerries' was built about 1750. It stands 15 metres in height and has a 20 metre diametre of sail. It commands magnificent views of the coastline and [...]

St Macculin’s Church, Lusk. co.Dublin – c.9th Round Tower c.15th Keep. c.19th Church

This interesting building is comprised of a 9th century round tower, a 15th century defensive tower and a 19th century church. The village of Lusk derives its name from an Irish word 'lusca' which means [...]

The Small Windmill, Skerries. co.Dublin – 1525

This windmill was built around 1525 on a circular plan and is capped with thatched conical roof. It had four canvas sails that were turned into the wind from inside by a hand lever. The [...]

Casino Marino, Malahide Road. Dublin City – 1775

Casino Marino is regarded as one of the finest Neo-Classical buildings in Europe and is also one of the most surprising. It was designed by Sir William Chambers as a pleasure home for James Caulfield [...]

Load More Posts