The Province of Leinster

The first part of the name Leinster derives from Laigin, the name of a major tribe that once inhabited the area and the latter part of the name derives either from the Irish tír or from the Old Norse staðr, both of which translate as ‘land’ or ‘territory’

These are some of the most significant landmarks, buildings and monuments in the province of Leinster

The longest, most beautiful and most robbed house in Ireland

Russborough House, Blessington. County Wicklow     1755 Russborough House was built in 1755 and is the longest house in the country with a facade of over 700 feet in length. It is also regarded as one [...]

The Athens of Ireland

The Rock of Dunamase, Dunamase. County Laois    c. 1170   The Rock of Dunamase is one of Ireland's most impressive locations for a castle as it sits on a limestone outcrop 150 feet above the [...]

A leading Irish architect & a village with no centre

This beautiful church, built in 1826 was designed by the famous Dublin architect John Semple. Semple was the leading architect in Dublin during the 1820's and 1830's. Many of his designs are in the 'late [...]

A Fir Bolg King, Lighting fires & A friary on a hill

The Friary on The Hill of Slane is located just outside the village of Slane in co.Meath. This historic location was reputedly the location where the Fir Bolg King 'Sláine' is buried and also where [...]

The largest fortified medieval tower house in Ireland on the edge of The Pale

This national monument is Ardee Castle located on the main street of Ardee in county Louth. It is the largest fortified medieval tower house in Ireland. The original structure on this site was founded by [...]

Recognize this place from the Xmas Guinness Advertisement ?

J O'Connells Pub can be found on the Hill of Skyrne in co.Meath. This pub was made famous when Guinness used it for their Christmas advert. It is popularly known as 'Mrs O's' or 'Yankee's' [...]

An ancient shrine to St Columba, a Norman effigy and a great pint nearby

Skreen Church, The Hill of Skryne, County Meath         1341 Skreen is situated on a hill with stunning views over much of county Meath and towards the Hill of Tara. An earlier church at this location [...]

One of the most photographed and painted bridges in Ireland

The Derrybawn Bridge is located in Laragh in co.Wicklow. There has been a bridge at this location since 1700 however this ivy clad beauty dates from 1800. The bridge takes you is over the Glandassan River [...]

Once the finest country house in Laois & recently voted one of the top 10 castle hotels in the World

Castle Durrow is located in the village of Durrow in co.Laois. This beautiful 'country pile' was built between 1712 and 1716 as a family home by Captain William Flower. Flower was the MP for Kilkenny [...]

The most fortified Cistercian monastery in Ireland, Hugh de Lacy & Braveheart

Bective Abbey, Bective. County Meath          1147 Bective Abbey is set in beautiful countryside beside a lovely old bridge over the River Boyne. It was founded in 1147 by the King of Meath and was the [...]

Fianna Fail, the soldiers of destiny and the inauguration stone for the High King of Ireland

The Stone of Destiny otherwise known as the 'Lia Fail' is located on the inauguration mound on the Hill of Tara, co. Meath. It served as the coronation stone for hundreds of years for the [...]

The Crutched Friars, Caring for the sick & St John’s Priory

St John's Priory is located on the outskirts of Trim in county Meath. It was founded 1202 by Bishop Simon deRochfort and was was occupied by a branch of monks called 'The Crutched Friars' named [...]

The Plunkett’s, Hugh de Lacy and a stunning new golf course

Killeen Castle is located in Dunsany in county Meath. The present structure was built in 1820 however there has been a castle on this site for 800 years starting when Hugh de Lacy built a [...]

Claimant to site of Ireland’s 2nd oldest pub licence, A beer garden with a view & Hugh de Lacy

Regan's Pub is located beside St Peter's Bridge on the outskirts of Trim in county Meath. It claims to have the second oldest pub licence (next to Sean's Pub in Athlone) dating back to the [...]

A castle lost in the middle of Phoenix Park for 250 years

There is a fascinating story why this castle looks so new....Ashtown Lodge was originally located on this site and in 1978 due to the presence of dry rot it was decided to demolish the 18th [...]

A cairn, A passage tomb, Fairies & Views

This cairn is a collapsed passage tomb and is often referred to as Fairy Castle. It sits at the highest point of 'The Dublin Mountains' at an altitude of 1,740 feet beside a trig point [...]

A famous Dublin landmark & One of the first cast iron bridges in the World

The Ha'penny Bridge, Wellington Quay. Dublin City         1816 The Ha’penny Bridge was built in 1816 and is one of the oldest cast iron bridges in the World. It was originally named 'The Wellington Bridge' after The [...]

The first carbon-neutral convention centre in the World

The Convention Centre Dublin (CCD) in the Dublin Docklands was opened in September 2010. The glass building overlooks the River Liffey at Spencer Dock. It was designed by the American-Irish architect Kevin Roche. The building [...]

The new Aviva, The oldest sports stadium in Europe & The oldest rugby union ground in the World

This stunning building is the Aviva Stadium located on Lansdowne Road in Dublin City.It re-opened its doors on 14th May 2010 and has a seated capacity of 51,700. It's incredible roof is designed to undulate [...]

An Irish Harp, Calatrava & Samuel Beckett

The Samuel Beckett Bridge is located on Sir John Rogersons Quay in Dublin City. It was named after the famous Irish writer Samuel Beckett and designed by the internationally famous Spanish architect, sculpter and engineer, [...]

One of the most prestigious universities in Europe built on a grand scale

Trinity College is widely considered to be the most prestigious university in Ireland, and amongst the most elite in Europe. It was founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth I and was modelled after the collegiate [...]

A perfect example of an early Georgian mansion with original interiors & a working farm

Newbridge House is located in Donabate in north county Dublin. It is considered a perfect example of an early Irish Georgian mansion. It was built in 1736 for the Archbishop Charles Cobb and designed by [...]

Viking grave stones, a Celtic Cross & Continental pottery

Kilgobbin Church is located in the village of Stepaside on the foot of the Dublin Mountains. It was built in 1707 on an ancient pre-Norman site where a wooden church would have stood. It is [...]

The last example of a 19th century lead mine in Ireland, Death Valley & Forest walks

Ballycorus Lead Mine is located in Ballychorus in south county Dublin. This tower was built in 1807 after a vein of lead was found within the hill. It is the only example left in Ireland [...]

Famous diaries, Completely original interiors & Spectacular sea views

Ardgillan Castle is located in a beautiful setting overlooking the town of Skerries in north county Dublin. It has spectacular views out to the Irish Sea and up to the Mourne Mountains in co. Down. [...]

Designed by Augustus Welby Pugin – the foremost British architect of the 19th century

St Alphonsus' Church is located in Barntown in county Wexford. It was built in 1851 to the designs of Augustus Welby Pugin- the foremost British architect of the 19th century. He was also an extraordinarily [...]

This traditional music bar claim’s to be the only pub in Ireland that is run by traditional musicians

The Merry Ploughboy Pub is located in south Dublin in an area known as Rockbrook. This traditional music bar claim's to be the only pub in Ireland that is run by traditional musicians - The [...]

Beware of the body snatchers

This is Cruagh Churchyard Watchtower located in Rockbrook in south county Dublin. It was built in 1720 as an observation point for a sentry to prevent body snatchers digging up 'fresh' dead bodies!  The reason [...]

The birthplace and home of Charles Stewart Parnell

Avondale House is located near the village of Rathdrum in county Wicklow. This was the birthplace and home of Charles Stewart Parnell (1846 -1891) one of the greatest political leaders in Irish history. The house [...]

A tranquil location, An impressive 7th century saint & Ancient prayers for the local farmers

St Moling's Well is located in the townland of Mullennakill in county Kilkenny. St Molin was a 7th century saint who worked under St Brendan. This beautiful woodland location over looking the River Arigle is [...]

A Norman castle with stunning views over Carlingford Lough

King John's Castle is located in Carlingford in county Louth. This national monument was allegedly built for King John of England in 1200 however recent research suggests that it may have been built by the [...]

Once a prosperous trading port with 5 Royal charters & The Earls of Carlingford

Taaffe's Castle is situated in the beautiful medieval town of Carlingford. It was built around 1520 as a fortified townhouse and a trading depot for the Taaffe family. The Taaffe's later became the 'Earls of [...]

Ireland’s tallest High Cross located in a beautiful monastic settlement

This beautifully carved cross is located in the grounds of Monasterboice in county Louth. It is the tallest cross Ireland standing high at 21 feet and is dated to the 9th century. High Crosses are [...]

The finest barbican in Ireland, 360′ views & Cromwell

St Laurence's Gate is located in Drogheda in county Louth. This interesting structure was built in 1280 just outside the original walls of Drogheda. It is described as a 'barbican' and is regarded as the [...]

Drogheda’s most prominent & strategic location, an ancient burial chamber & 1922

Millmount Martello Tower is located in Drogheda in county Louth. This is Drogheda's most dominant feature and it's most strategic location. Legend says it is the burial place of Amhairghin, a mythical Celtic poet and [...]

An Abbey for the sick and the infirm & The Crutched Friars

The Abbey of St Mary d'Urso is located in Drogheda in county Louth. This national monument is Drogheda's oldest monastic site and is known as 'The old abbey' or 'The Hospital of St. Mary d’Urso' [...]

Viking Raids, beautiful Celtic Crosses and once the highest Roundtower in Ireland

The Round Tower of Monasterboice is located in county Louth and dates from the 10th century a.d. The tower stands 92 feet high but may have originally been 108 feet making it one of the [...]

The Devil, Wild Parties and the finest vistas of Dublin

The Hellfire Club is located on top of Mount Pelier Hillin south county Dublin. It was built in 1725 by William 'Speaker' Conolly as a hunting lodge for his Rathfarnham estate. It was originally known [...]

Brehon Law, A Druids’ Table & An ancient passage tomb

Brehon's Chair is located in Rathfarnham in south county Dublin. These granite stones were probably used for a number of purposes over the last few thousand years and had astrological, spiritual, religious and ceremonial importance. [...]

A beautiful church where Paul Henry – Ireland’s greatest landscape artist lies

St Patrick's Parish Church is located in Enniskerry village in county Wicklow. It was commissioned by Mervynn Wingfield 7th Earl of Powerscourt in 1859 in response to the Protestant population of the village not having [...]

Only 200 years to complete this country pile, James Gandon & the Jesuits

Emo Court, Emo. County Laois          1790 Emo Court is a country villa designed, but not built by the famous architect James Gandon. Gandon is best known for his great public buildings in Dublin which include The [...]

Once home to the most powerful family in Ireland

Carton House is located near Maynooth in county Kildare. It was built in 1739 for the Fitzgerald family and designed by the famous architect Richard Cassels whose other works include Leinster House, Powerscourt House and Russborough [...]

Ireland’s largest, finest and earliest Palladian style house

Castletown House is located in Celbridge in county Kildare. It is regarded as Ireland's largest, finest and earliest Palladian style house and is significant in terms of European architectural heritage. It's façade was almost certainly [...]

One of the finest Norman castles in Ireland blown up by a physician

Carlow Castle in located in Carlow Town. This was one of the finest Norman castles ever built in Ireland. It was built around 1213 by William Marshall and the site was carefully chosen because of it's [...]

Residence of the US Ambassador to Ireland, 1776 & JFK

The US Ambassador's Residence (Deerfield) is located in Phoenix Park in Dublin City. It was built in 1776 for Sir John Blaquiere, the Chief Secretary for Ireland which was a akin to being the Prime [...]

A much overlooked building in Phoenix Park, James Gandon & The Irish Army

This is The Irish Army Headquarters built in 1786 as the Royal Military Infirmary by the designs of James Gandon.

The Pope, 1 million people and a Baby Boom!

The Papal Cross is located in Phoenix Park in Dublin City. It is a simple white cross made of steel that stands 116 feet high. It was erected for the Papal visit of Pope John [...]

Designed on a French Chateaux, the Ryder Cup & Jack B Yeats

The K Club is located in Straffan in county Kildare. The original building here, Straffan House, was built in 1832 during the Regency era by Hugh Barber of the wine firm 'Barber and Guestier' and [...]

Load More Posts