The Province of Leinster

The first part of the name Leinster derives from Laigin, the name of a major tribe that once inhabited the area and the latter part of the name derives either from the Irish tír or from the Old Norse staðr, both of which translate as ‘land’ or ‘territory’

These are some of the most significant landmarks, buildings and monuments in the province of Leinster

A dolmen with an 80 tonne capstone – possibly 2nd heaviest in the country

The Kilternan Dolmen is located in south Dublin near the village of Kilternan. This national monument  is believed to have the second heaviest cap stone in Ireland (next to the Brownshill Dolmen in Carlow) weighing [...]

The first and most important Cistercian Abbey in Ireland

Mellifont Abbey located in Tullyallen in co. Meath was founded by St Malachy in 1142. This was the first and most important of Ireland's 35 Cistercian abbeys. The term Cistercian derives from Cistercium, the Latin [...]

The Year of the Slaughter, Dublin’s finest views & An odd obelisk

Killiney Obelisk is located on top of Killliney Hill in south county Dublin. It was built in 1742 to provide work and commemorate a sad event in Ireland's history. It was commissioned by John Malpas [...]

On the border of The Pale, A forgotten castle & Strange spectres

Kilgobbin Castle is located near the village of Stepaside in south Dublin. This fortified tower house was built by the Walshe Family in c.1476. The Walshe family were the 'marcher lords' of the area and [...]

Mid America or South Dublin ?

Our Lady of the Wayside Church is located in Kilternan in south county Dublin. This beautiful little building is locally known as the Blue Church after it's marian colour. It was built in 1929 entirely [...]

Once considered to be one of the finest Norman castles in Ireland

Ferns Castle, Ferns. County Wexford           1220 Ferns castle is considered to be one of the finest examples of an Anglo-Norman fortress in Ireland. This was originally the stronghold of Diarmaid Mc Murrough (1110 – 1171). [...]

A quartz standing stone, Queen Maeve & Beaker pottery

Glencullen Standing Stone is now located on a golf course in the village of Glencullen in south Dublin. Standing stones or 'mehirs' are usually difficult to date but it is sometimes possible when a particular [...]

‘Arguably’ Ireland’s most famous and highest pub

Johnnie Fox's Pub is located in the village of Glencullen on the border of south Dublin and Wicklow. It was established in 1798 and is one of the most famous pubs in Ireland visited by [...]

Dublin’s Gaudi church

Monkstown Parish Church, Monkstown. County Dublin         1825 Monkstown Parish Church was originally built in 1789 but was re-modelled in 1825 by the famous architect John Semple. Its style is described as 'castellated Gothic with Moorish [...]

100 years of Viscounts, a beautiful forge & a base shaped like a shamrock

Enniskerry Clock Tower is located in the middle of Enniskerry village in county Wicklow. It was commissioned by the 6th Viscount of Powerscourt to commemorate 100 years of the creation of The Viscounts of Powerscourt. The [...]

Why are there 4 lighthouses at the most easterly point of Ireland?

Wicklow Head Lighthouse, Wicklow Head. County Wicklow         1781 Wicklow Head Lighthouse was built in 1781 and was originally part of a pair. Their architect, John Trail had previously designed the Grand Canal in Dublin and [...]

The most photographed dolmen in the north of Ireland

This is the beautiful and graceful Proleek Dolmen located on the legendary Cooley Peninsula in co. Louth. It is one of the finest examples in Ireland and dates from between 4000 to 2500 b. c. [...]

Embassy of the United States, Ballsbridge. Dublin City – 1964

This striking building is the Embassy of the United States for Dublin and is located in the leafy suburbs of Ballsbridge. It was built between 1962 and 64 and takes it's inspiration from a 5th [...]

St Stephen’s Church, Mount Street Cresent. Dublin City – 1824

This Dublin gem is St Stephen's Church. It was built in 1824 and is fondly known as 'The Pepper Canister' or the 'Pepper Pot Church'. It was originally designed by John Bowden but was completed, [...]

Aras an Uachtarain, Phoenix Park. Dublin City – 1751 (‘House of the President’)

Aras an Uachtarain means 'House of the President' in Irish. The original house was built in 1751 and was designed by and for the park ranger and amateur architect, Nathaniel Clements. It then became home [...]

A pre-fabricated church, Odlums & Wolfe Tone

This very unusual church is a pre-fabricated structure consisting of a metal exterior and a beautiful wooden interior. The church was consecrated in 1973 however the structure dates from 1924. It was purchased and brought [...]

A Christian Cross with a Pagan base

Kilgobbin Cross is located in Stepaside villagein south co. Dublin. It was found in 1800 when a wall for the nearby graveyard was being built. It stands over 8 feet tall and can be estimated [...]

One of Ireland’s finest wedge tombs

The Ballyedmunduff Wedge Tomb is located in the forest on the Glencullen side of the Dublin Mountains. This national monument is considered to be one of the finest examples of a wedge tomb in Ireland. [...]

A powder magazine, Johnathan Swift & The Christmas Raid

Magazine Fort is located on the south side of Phoenix Park. This is the location where a house called Phoenix Lodge once stood. In 1734 the house was knocked down and the Duke of Dorset [...]

Everyone was dying to get into this Abbey

Jerpoint Abbey is located just outside the beautiful village of Thomastown in co.Kilkenny. It was founded in 1180 as a Cistercian Abbey by the King of Osraige and is notable for its imposing central tower [...]

A church and a castle, John Semple & The wild Irish

St Maelruan's Church located in the most historic part of Tallaght was designed by the famous Dublin architect, John Semple. Christian worship has continued on this site for over 1200 years since St Maelruan founded [...]

A burial tomb, a boundary marker or a scratching post for a friendly cow ?

The Craddockstown West Longstone is a national monument and is located facing the entrance to the Punchestown Racecourse in co.Kildare. It is hugely elegant and stands 15 feet high. There are a number of Long [...]

Ireland’s largest dolmen – but how did they get that ginormous boulder up there?

The Brownshill Dolmen, Hackettstown. County Carlow 4000 – 2500 b. c. This national monument is the Brownshill Dolmen. It is not only the largest example in Ireland but also in Europe with a capstone estimated [...]

Europe’s tallest obelisk

The Wellington Testimonial, Phoenix Park. Dublin City          1861 The Wellington Testimonial stands over 200 feet tall in Phoenix Park making it Europe's largest obelisk. It was built between 1817 and 1861 as a commemoration to [...]

The Wonderful Barn, Leixlip. co.Kildare – 1742

The Wonderful Barn, Leixlip. County Kildare         1742 This odd looking structure is The Wonderful Barn. It was commissioned as a famine relief project by Katherine Conolly. Katherine was the widow of William ‘Speaker’ Conolly of [...]

Regarded as the most beautiful High Cross in the World

This National Monument is the wonderful Muiredach’s High Cross located in Monasterboice, co. Louth. It is regarded as the most beautiful Celtic cross in the World and Ireland’s greatest contribution to European sculpture. It stands 18 [...]

”Probably’ Ireland’s most iconic buildings, 2 lakes & a village idiot

Glendalough Round Tower & St. Kevin’s Kitchen, Glendalough. County Wicklow Glendalough Round Tower and St Kevin's Kitchen are located in the beautiful glaciated valley of Glendalough in county Wicklow. These are some of Ireland's most [...]

Secret tunnels, a zodiac room & one of the finest Neoclassical buildings in Europe

Casino Marino, Malahide Road. Dublin City          1775 This interesting building is regarded as one of the finest neoclassical buildings in Europe and is also one of the most surprising. It was designed by Sir William [...]

Ireland’s most impressive and beautiful monastic settlement

St Kevin's Church, Glendalough. County Wicklow      c. 12th century This national monument is one of Ireland's most iconic buildings and dates from the 12th century. St Kevin's was born in 498 into a [...]

Dublin’s most architecturally important building, James Gandon & The 1921 fire

Custom House Quay was built between 1781 - 1791 and is Dublin's most architecturally important building and is regarded as a masterpiece of European neoclassicism. It was designed by James Gandon (1743 – 1823) who [...]

The centre of English power for 700 years

The Courtyard of Dublin Castle was built in 1779. This location is the highest point in Dublin's centre  and so was always the most strategic point for controlling the territory. There is evidence that there [...]

Load More Posts