Time Search…

Time Period & Styles

Seefin Passage Tomb, Kilbride. co.Wicklow c.3300-3000 b.c

This national monument is the Neolithic Seefin Passage Tomb built around 5000 years ago on a 650m high mountain in North Wicklow. It's name in Irish (Suidh Fhionn) means "The Seat of Fionn" and these [...]

Moore Abbey, Monasterevin. co.Kildare 1767

Moore Abbey stands on an ancient site that was originally the 7th century monastery of St Evin. In the 12th century it became a rich and powerful Cistercian Monastery and after the suppression of the [...]

Castledermot, co.Kildare. c.10th Round Tower, c.9th Crosses and c.12th Friary

The small town of Castledermot in south Kildare takes it's name from 'Diseart Diarmad' meaning 'Dermot's Hermitage'. It must have been a very important ecclesiastical centre as there are many fine ruins including the remains [...]

Deenagh Lodge, Killarney. co.Kerry 1834

This beautiful cottage orne is Deenagh Lodge. It is located at the entrance to Killarney National Park beside the Deenagh River. It was built in 1834 using the local river reed which being hollow offered [...]

Desmond Hall, Newcastle West. co.Limerick 13th-15th centuries

This National Monument is Desmond Hall located in Newcastle West. This area preserves many of Ireland's surviving medieval halls which were used by the Earls of Desmond for banqueting and entertainment. The Hall, the vaulted [...]

Kenmare Stone Circle, Kenmare. co.Kerry c.2500-1000 B.C

The Kenmare Stone Circle is located 5 minutes walk from the centre of Kenmare and is locally known as the 'The Shrubberies'. It is one of the largest stone circles in south west Ireland measuring [...]

Kilmogue (Harristown) Dolmen, Mullinavat. co.Kilkenny. c.3000-4000 b.c

This impressive dolmen is the Kilmogue Portal Tomb located on the eastern slopes of Brown Mountain, about 3 miles from the village of Mullinavat in co. Kilkenny. The name "Kilmogue" derives its name from the [...]

Clonmines Medieval Borough, Wellington Bridge. co.Wexford c.13th-16th centuries

This interesting site is one of the best preserved and much over-looked medieval towns in Ireland. Clonmines probably began it's life as a Norman settlement established by William Marshall in the 13th century as an [...]

Staigue Fort, Sneem. co.Kerry c.300 a.d (Caiseal Stéig – ‘the fort of the steps/ the windy fort’)

Staigue Fort is an ancient ring fort located in a spectacular isolated valley not far from village of Sheem on the Ring of Kerry. It commands incredible sweeping views out across Kenmare Bay to the [...]

Ninch Barrow Mound, Laytown. co.Meath c.400 a.d?

This mound located on the right hand side of the road between Julianstown and Laytown stands nearly 20 feet high and is 75 feet in diameter. It sits beside a modern bungalow and resembles a [...]

Strokestown Park House, Strokestown. co.Roscommon 1730

Strokestown Park House, set on 300 acres of parklands is one of Ireland's finest and most intact Palladian mansions. It's centre block was completed in 1696 but was extended around 1730 by the famous architect Richard [...]

Murrisk Abbey, Murrisk. co.Mayo 1457

Murrisk Abbey was founded 1456 by the Augustinian Friars on the site of a former church reputedly founded by St Patrick. It is located near to foot of Croagh Patrick Mountain close to the sea overlooking [...]

Roscrea Castle 1281 & Damer House 1730, Rosscrea. co.Tipperary

The original motte and bailey fortification on this site was built in 1213 and was known as King John's Castle. It was not until 1281 that the castle was built with stone under the direction [...]

Delphi Lodge, Delphi Valley. co.Galway 1830

Delphi Lodge is located in one of the most spectacular valleys in Ireland on it's own 1000 acre estate. It is surrounded by wild rivers, beautiful lakes and some of the tallest mountains in Connemara. [...]

Knockeen Portal Dolmen, Knockeen. co. Waterford. 4000-3000 b.c

The Knockeen portal tomb is one of Waterford's outstanding monuments and ranks among the finest portal tombs in Ireland. It stands in the middle of a hedgerow bordering 2 fields standing at an impressive 3.5 metres (13 [...]

Ducketts Grove, Rainstown. co. Carlow 1818-1850

These are the incredible ruins of Duckett's Grove, located in Rainstown in co. Carlow. This great house was once home to the Duckett family who were the largest landowners in co. Carlow for 300 years [...]

St Bridget’s High Cross, Kildare Town. co.Kildare c.9th-12th (Cill Dara-Church of the Oak)

St Brigid's High Cross stands 9 feet tall in the grounds of St Bridget's Cathedral in Kildare Town. The cross is difficult to date because many of it's granite features have worn away and the [...]

Gaulstown Dolmen, Gaulstown. co.Waterford. c.4000 b.c

The Gaulstown Portal Tomb is one of the finest dolmens in Ireland and was probably erected between 4000 - 3500b.c. It's name is derived from the name of the townland and is situated at the foot of [...]

Rathmullan Gun Battery (The Flight of the Earls Centre), Rathmullan. co.Donegal 1810

Rathmullan is a beautiful seaside village located on the western shore of the spectacular Fanad Peninsula. It's name in Irish (Ráth Maoláin) means 'Maoláin's ringfort'. There are many historical sites in the area including the ruins [...]

Cahir Castle, Cahir. co.Tipperary 1142

Cahir Castle is one of Ireland's largest castles and is strategically located on an island on the River Suir. The word Cahir in Irish actually means 'stone fort' and records show it was built in 1142 [...]

Ross Castle, Killarney. co.Kerry 1480

Ross Castle is located in a spectacular location on Ross Island by the shores of Lough Leane. It was built sometime in the late 15th century by the O'Donoghue Ross chieftains and is surrounded by a [...]

Swiss Cottage, Cahir. co.Tipperary 1810

This national monument as is regarded as one of the finest examples of a 'cottage ornee' in Europe. These fantasy houses were popular with the gentry in the 19th century where they could play at [...]

Clare Abbey, Ennis. co.Clare 1195

Clare Abbey is situated on an elevated site beside the Fergus River and was the first, largest and most important Augustinian house in County Clare. It was founded in 1195 under the sponsorship of Domnall Mór [...]

Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse, Old Head. co.Cork 1853

The Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse is located in one of Ireland’s most spectacular coastal areas. This large promontory juts out into the Atlantic Ocean rising hundreds of feet above the water and is now one [...]

Charles Fort, Kinsale. co.Cork 1682

Charles Fort is located on the hillside entrance of the harbour overlooking the picturesque town of Kinsale. It is a classic example of a late 17th century star-shaped fort and one of the largest military installations in the [...]

Skellig Michael, Kerry. 6th-12th centuries (Sceilig Mhichíl- ‘Michael’s Rock in the Sea’)

This incredible UNESCO World Heritage Site is the early Christian monastery of Skellig Michael. It is located 13 km off the Kerry coastline at an altitude of 600 feet and is one of the most dramatic [...]

Knockmany Cairn & Annya’s Tomb, Augher. co.Tyrone 3000 b.c>100 a.d

This interesting site is located on a beautiful forested hilltop 700 feet above sea level near the village of Augher in County Tyrone. It's name in Irish 'Cnoc mBaine' has had various different interpretations from [...]

Carrowkeel Neolithic Cemetery, Ballymote. co.Sligo c.3400 bc

This mound on top of this desolate hilltop is one of 14 cairns forming part of the Carrowkeel neolithic passage tomb cemetery. The Carrowkeel complex is located at an altitude of about 1000 foot in [...]

Clonyn Castle, Delvin. co.Westmeath 1876

Sir Gilbert de Nugent, originally from the Nogent-le-Rotrou area in France, came to Ireland with his brother-in-law Hugh de Lacy in 1171. He was granted the title Baron of Delvin within the Lordship of Meath. [...]

Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery, Carrowmore. co.Sligo 4600>1000 b.c

Carrowmore is the largest megalithic cemetery in Ireland and amongst the oldest in Europe. It is believed that there may have been over 100 monuments on this site but only 30 have survived as the [...]

Delvin Castle, Delvin. co.Westmeath c.1310

Located in the middle of Delvin village are the remains of Delvin Castle. This was once a sturdy Norman castle with a square block in the middle and 4 corner cylindrical towers at each corner, [...]

Ballinafad Castle, Ballinafad. co.Sligo 1590

Ballinafad Castle was built in 1590 and is also known as the 'Castle of the Curlews'. It has had a turbulent history due to it's strategic location that controlled the Red Earl's Road through the [...]

Musseden Temple, Downhill. co.Derry 1785

The Mussenden Temple was built in 1785 and forms part of the estate of Frederick Augustus Hervey 'the Earl Bishop', Bishop of Derry and Earl of Bristol. It is perched dramatically on a 120 ft [...]

Athcarne Castle, Balrath. co.Meath 1590

This foreboding looking building is Athcarne Castle. It was built for William Bathe in 1590. The Bathe family produced a number of well known legal and political personalities around the 16th and 17th century. It [...]

O’Doherty’s Keep, Buncrana. co. Donegal c.1300? (Bun Cranncha-‘foot of the River Crana’)

This interesting little building is located in Buncrana on the estuary of the Crana River and is locally  known as 'O'Doherty's Keep'. The structure resembles a fortified tower house from the 15th century but recent [...]

Taghadoe Round Tower, Taghadoe. co.Kildare c.10th Century

Taghadoe derives its name from 'Teach Tua', meaning House of Tua. St Tua, also known as Ultan the Silent, was the abbot of Clonmacnoise who founded the monastery here. Little is known of it except [...]

Leixlip Castle, Leixlip. co.Kildare 1172

Leixlip Castle was built in 1172 by Adam de Hereford, a follower of Strongbow, one year after the Norman Invasion of Ireland. It is one of the oldest continuously-inhabited buildings in Ireland. Leixlip means 'salmon [...]

Barberstown Castle, Straffan. co.Kildare c.1500 on earlier Norman site

The original castle on this site was built by Nicholas Barby in 1288 on land owned by the Norman Fitzgerald family. Over the next 800 years it has passed into the ownership of 37 different [...]

The Anchorite Cell Chapel, Fore. co.Westmeath c.1830 on earlier site

This little building is the Anchorite Cell Chapel and is part of the Fore Abbey complex. The original church here was founded by St Feichin in 630 and the abbey later expanded to have up [...]

The Molly Malone Statue, Grafton Street (now removed). Dublin City 1988

The Molly Malone Statue was designed by Jeanne Rynhart and based on a popular song of a 17th century fictional character to celebrate Dublin's first millennium in 1988. It tells the tale of a fishmonger [...]

Dowth Passage Tomb, Dowth. co.Meath c.2500 – 2000 b.c

Dowth, which means 'darkness', is one of the 3 principle passage tombs of the Brú na Bóinne World Heritage Site (The other 2 being Newgrange and Knowth). It dates from c.2500 b.c and shares a [...]

Burrishoole Friary, Newport. co.Mayo 1470

Burrishoole Friary, now a national monument, was founded in 1470 by Richard de Burgo of Turlough. De Burgo was an ancestor of Risdeárd an Iarainn Bourke; Granuaile O'Malley's second husband, who originally owned the nearby [...]

The Clock Tower, Waterford Quays. Waterford City 1863

During the Victorian era, Waterford was Ireland's busiest industrial port. It had the largest ship building yards in the country (before being surpassed by Belfast) and traded to 400 international ports all over the World. [...]

Medieval Museum Waterford, Waterford City. co.Waterford 2013

The Medieval Museum of Waterford is now the city's number one visitors attraction. This stunning new museum brings Waterford’s fascinating history to life and is Ireland’s only purpose-built medieval museum and the only building on [...]

Port of Waterford Company Building, Waterford City. co. Waterford 1790

The Port of Waterford Building was originally the town house of the Morris family of Rossduff. It was built to the designs of Waterford's famous Georgian architect John Roberts and contains an exquisite oval staircase [...]

Dromodonnell Stone Cross, Castlewellan. co Down – replica of 10th century cross

This is a granite replica of an original stone cross that is believed to have stood in the Drumgooland graveyard until the late 1700s. It was then set into the north gable wall of the [...]

Inch Abbey, Downpatrick. co. Down 1177

Inch Abbey was established as a Cistercian house by John de Courcy and his wife Affrica in 1177 as an act of repentance for the destruction of the Abbey at Erinagh. This State Care National [...]

White’s Castle, Athy. co.Kildare 1417

White's Castle was built in 1417 by Sir John Talbot, Viceroy of Ireland, to protect the inhabitants of Athy from the 'wild Irish'. This location on the banks of the River Barrow has been an [...]

Load More Posts