Georgian 1720 > 1840

Georgian 1720 – 1840

Moore Abbey, Monasterevin. co.Kildare 1767

Moore Abbey stands on an ancient site that was originally the 7th century monastery of St Evin. In the 12th century it became a rich and powerful Cistercian Monastery and after the suppression of the [...]

Roscrea Castle 1281 & Damer House 1730, Rosscrea. co.Tipperary

The original motte and bailey fortification on this site was built in 1213 and was known as King John's Castle. It was not until 1281 that the castle was built with stone under the direction [...]

Delphi Lodge, Delphi Valley. co.Galway 1830

Delphi Lodge is located in one of the most spectacular valleys in Ireland on it's own 1000 acre estate. It is surrounded by wild rivers, beautiful lakes and some of the tallest mountains in Connemara. [...]

Ducketts Grove, Rainstown. co. Carlow 1818-1850

These are the incredible ruins of Duckett's Grove, located in Rainstown in co. Carlow. This great house was once home to the Duckett family who were the largest landowners in co. Carlow for 300 years [...]

Port of Waterford Company Building, Waterford City. co. Waterford 1790

The Port of Waterford Building was originally the town house of the Morris family of Rossduff. It was built to the designs of Waterford's famous Georgian architect John Roberts and contains an exquisite oval staircase [...]

The Bishop’s Palace, Waterford City. co.Waterford 1741

The Bishop’s Palace in Waterford City was built in 1741 and designed by the famous architect Richard Castle. This was the site of an earlier medieval palace and became the home of the Church of [...]

Marlay House, Marlay Park. co. Dublin – 1764

Marlay House is located in 300 acres of the parklands in south Dublin. The origins of this estate can be traced back to the Anglo Norman conquest of Ireland.  The original house here was built [...]

The Cashel Palace Hotel, Cashel. co.Tipperary 1732 (Caiseal-Rock of the Kings)

The Cashel Palace Hotel was built in 1732 by Archbishop Theophilus Bolton and was designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce. Pearce was the leading architect in Ireland and was the man who designed the original [...]

Buncrana Castle, Buncrana. co.Donegal 1718 (Bun Cranncha-‘foot of the River Crana’)

During the 18th century large manor houses like this one were known as 'Castles'. This house was built by Colonel George Vaughan between 1716-18 and is the earliest and most important of the big houses [...]

Harbour Lighthouse, Howth. co. Dublin 1817

Howth Harbour Lighthouse, built in 1817, is located at the end of Howth Harbour. The building, was also used for defensive purposes as the strong circular wall defends a gun position. The lighthouse keeper’s residence [...]

Armagh Observatory, Armagh City 1790

Armagh Observatory was established by Richard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh, in 1789. Robinson was not only the leader of the Church of Ireland but was also a multi-millionaire by today's standards and as as an [...]

Prehen House, Prehen. Derry City – 1740

Prehen House is an absolute gem and should really be one of the north west's top attractions. This historic early Irish Georgian styled Manor House was built in 1740 with the finest materials for Andrew [...]

Newbridge House, Donabate. co.Dublin – 1736

Newbridge House is a beautiful perfect example of an early Georgian mansion. It was built in 1736 for the Archbishop Charles Cobb and designed by the famous Irish architect George Semple (1700-1782) and the Scottish [...]

Avondale House, Rathdrum. Co.Wicklow – 1777

Avondale House was the birthplace and home of Charles Stewart Parnell (1846 -1891) one of the greatest political leaders in Irish history. The house was originally built for Samuel Hayes in 1777 but when he [...]

The Irish Army Headquarters, Phoenix Park. Dublin City – 1786

This is The Irish Army Headquarters built in 1786 as the Royal Military Infirmary by the designs of James Gandon.

The Pearse Museum, Rathfarnham. co.Dublin – 1786

The Pearse Museum which was formerly an Irish speaking school named 'St. Enda's' is an 18th century house situated in scenic parkland near Rathfarnham in south Dublin. It is dedicated to the memory of the [...]

Fahan House, Fahan. co.Donegal – c.1765

Fahan House is a beautiful ivy clad Georgian house located in Fahan, co.Donegal. Fahan means 'little green field' in Irish and has the ruins of an important 6th-century monastery which features a 7th-century cross-slab of [...]

Mount Juliet, Thomastown. co.Kilkenny – 1757

Mount Juliet was built in 1757 by the Earl of Carrick in compliment to his wife, Lady Juliana (Juliet). This estate has very strong Norman associations and in particular with the great Butler family. This [...]

Clifton House, Clifton Street. Belfast City – 1774 (Béal Feirste – Mouth of the Sandbanks)

Clifton House is regarded as one of Belfast's finest Georgian buildings. It was built in 1774 by The Belfast Charitable Society and was used until the late 1880′s as Belfast’s Poor House. Although the Dublin [...]

Load More Posts