Monuments & Curiosities

Monuments & Curiosities

Rathmullan Gun Battery (The Flight of the Earls Centre), Rathmullan. co.Donegal 1810

Rathmullan is a beautiful seaside village located on the western shore of the spectacular Fanad Peninsula. It's name in Irish (Ráth Maoláin) means 'Maoláin's ringfort'. There are many historical sites in the area including the ruins [...]

Skellig Michael, Kerry. 6th-12th centuries (Sceilig Mhichíl- ‘Michael’s Rock in the Sea’)

This incredible UNESCO World Heritage Site is the early Christian monastery of Skellig Michael. It is located 13 km off the Kerry coastline at an altitude of 600 feet and is one of the most dramatic [...]

Musseden Temple, Downhill. co.Derry 1785

The Mussenden Temple was built in 1785 and forms part of the estate of Frederick Augustus Hervey 'the Earl Bishop', Bishop of Derry and Earl of Bristol. It is perched dramatically on a 120 ft [...]

O’Doherty’s Keep, Buncrana. co. Donegal c.1300? (Bun Cranncha-‘foot of the River Crana’)

This interesting little building is located in Buncrana on the estuary of the Crana River and is locally  known as 'O'Doherty's Keep'. The structure resembles a fortified tower house from the 15th century but recent [...]

The Anchorite Cell Chapel, Fore. co.Westmeath c.1830 on earlier site

This little building is the Anchorite Cell Chapel and is part of the Fore Abbey complex. The original church here was founded by St Feichin in 630 and the abbey later expanded to have up [...]

The Molly Malone Statue, Grafton Street (now removed). Dublin City 1988

The Molly Malone Statue was designed by Jeanne Rynhart and based on a popular song of a 17th century fictional character to celebrate Dublin's first millennium in 1988. It tells the tale of a fishmonger [...]

Stillorgan Obelisk, Newtown-Park. co. Dublin 1727

The Stillorgan Obelisk built in 1729, is possibly the first obelisk to be built in Ireland. It was on the grounds of Stillorgan Park House by Lord Allen who commissioned the famous architect Edward Lovett [...]

Clogherny Wedge Tomb, Plumbridge. co.Tyrone c.2500 b.c

The Clogherny Wedge tomb is located in a sparse exposed glaciated valley near the village of Plumbridge in co. Tyrone. It still has it's large capstone and is unusual because it is surrounded by a [...]

The O’Connell Monument, O’Connell St. Dublin City -1880 (Dubh Linn-‘Black Pool’)

This Statue was built to commemorate 'the liberator' Daniel O'Connell (1775- 1847) after whom the street was also renamed after Irish independence. O'Connell was born in Kerry and believed in employing peaceful tactics to achieve [...]

Dawson Memorial Column, Rockcorry. co.Monaghan 1809

The Dawson Memorial is situated between Cootehill and Rockcorry in co. Monaghan. It was erected in 1809 by the independent voters of County Monaghan in praise of their local MP Richard Dawson. Richard 'Honest Dick' [...]

Caves of Kesh, Ballymote. co. Sligo

The limestone Caves of Kesh are located half way up the side of a mountain and can be reached by a 200 m assent up a steep grassy slope. There are many mythological stories associated [...]

Armagh Observatory, Armagh City 1790

Armagh Observatory was established by Richard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh, in 1789. Robinson was not only the leader of the Church of Ireland but was also a multi-millionaire by today's standards and as as an [...]

Clontarf Castle Gatehouse, Clontarf. co. Dublin 1837

This is the beautiful gatehouse for Clontarf Castle which along with the castle were totally remodeled in the 1830's. The original castle was built by the Norman, Hugh de Lacy, in 1172 near the site [...]

Portrane Round Tower, Portrane. co. Dublin 1844

Many of the Round Towers in the Fingal region can date back to the Viking era with the likes of Lusk and St Columba’s tower in Swords which are regarded as two of the finest [...]

Cúchulainn’s Stone (Clochafarmore), Knockbridge. co.Louth 500 b.c>500 a.d

According to legend, the mortally wounded Cúchulainn bound himself to this 10 foot pillar stone, so he could stand tall and face his enemies until the moment of his death. These did not dare approach [...]

Griesebank House, Ballitore. co.Kildare – 1700

Griesebank House, located in Ballitore, co. Kildare was a former school for Quakers. It was founded by Abraham Shackleton in 1726 (a fore father of the great polar explorer, Ernest Shackelton). Quakers are a relatively [...]

The Derry Walls, Derry City 1613-1618 (Doire – Oak Grove)

Derry is...1- the last walled City to be built in Europe 2 - the first planned city to be built in Ireland 3- the only complete walled city in Ireland and 4 - the largest [...]

Clonfinlough Stone, Clonfinlough. co.Offaly c.1000 b.c – 1400 a.d ?

This national monument is the intriguing Clonfinlough Stone. It is 8 foot x 10 foot and is completely covered with rock art carvings including cup marks, a cross and even a foot print. It [...]

Loftus Hall, Hook Head. co.Wexford – 1872

Loftus Hall is said to have been the most haunted house in Ireland and is possessed by a young woman and the devil himself! This was originally the site of a castle built by the [...]

Shell Cottage,The Carton Estate. co.Kildare – c.1750

The history of Shell Cottage relates directly to one of the former inhabitants of Carton House, Emily Fitzgerald. She was the great granddaughter of Charles II, and married James Fitzgerald in 1747, the 20th Earl [...]

St Mogue’s Cottage, Ferns. co. Wexford – c.18th century

This is the beautiful St. Mogue’s Cottage located in the grounds of St Edan's Cathedral in Ferns, co.Wexford. It largely dates from the 18th century and was originally used for housing the Cathedral's clergy. The [...]

The Monk’s Fishing House, Cong. co. Mayo – c.15th or 16th century

These are the remains of The Monk's Fishing House located in the grounds of Cong Abbey. This ingenious structure was built sometime between 1400 and 1550 on a platform over the River Cong. A small [...]

The Stone of Destiny, Hill of Tara. co. Meath – c.500 b.c

The Stone of Destiny otherwise known as the 'Lia Fail' is located on the inauguration mound on the Hill of Tara. It served as the coronation stone for thousands of years for the High Kings [...]

The Curiousity Shop, Malin Head. co.Donegal

The Curiosity Shop in Malin Head is the country’s most northerly shop. It is covered wall-to-wall in every type of bric-a brac including pictures or Arthur Guinness, unusual wine bottle openers, old posters, old coins, [...]

Old Irish Cottage, Culdaff. co.Donegal – c.1800

This is a beautiful example of an unaltered traditional Irish cottage. Such cottages date from c.1700 onwards as prior to that, our ancestors lived in round hut style dwellings built of wattle and daub. These [...]

Fairy Castle, 2 Rock Mountain. co.Dublin – 2500 > 2000 bc

This 'cairn' is a collapsed passage tomb and is often referred to as 'Fairy Castle'. It sits at the highest point of 'The Dublin Mountains' at an altitude of 1,740 feet beside a trig point [...]

Ballycorus Lead Mine, Shankill. co.Dublin – 1807

The Ballychorus Lead Mine Tower was built in 1807 after a vein of lead was found within this hill. It is the only example left in Ireland and is regarded as one of the finest [...]

Cruagh Churchyard Watchtower, Rockbrook. co.Dublin – 1720

This is Cruagh Watchtower, located in Rockbrook in south county Dublin. It was built c. 1720 as an observation point for a sentry to prevent body snatchers digging up 'fresh' dead bodies!  The reason for [...]

St Molin’s Well, Mullennakill. co.Kilkenny – 7th century a.d

This holy well is dedicated to St Molin, a 7th century saint who worked under St Brendan. After his conversion to Christianity he lived for a while in a nearby cave in the usual austere [...]

The Old Forge, Enniskerry. co.Wicklow – 1855

This pretty little building was built as a forge by the Wingfield family of Powerscourt. Coach travel was the most common form of transport in the 19th century and many wealthy Dubliners and Victorian holiday [...]

Vartry Resevoir Tower, Roundwood. co.Wicklow – 1923

The Vartry Reservoir  is located at Roundwood in County Wicklow.  The original (lower) reservoir was completed in 1863, and has a capacity of 11.3 billion litres and a maximum depth of 18.3 meters. A second [...]

Cottage Ruin, Clane. co.Kildare – c.1800

This cottage ruin was probably built around 1800. Such cottages are often located on land still owned by the future generations of the same family who lived in them. Instead of demolishing or trying to [...]

The Papal Cross, Phoenix Park. Dublin City – 1979 (fionn uisce- “clear water’)

The Papal Cross is a simple large white cross that was erected near the edge of the Fifteen Acres area in Phoenix Park for the Papal visit of Pope John Paul II on the 29th [...]

The Telegraph Tower, Dalkey Hill. co.Dublin – 1807

This Tower was built in 1807 and is located above Dalkey Quarry. It is known as 'The Telegraph Tower' and was used for communicating with all the other Martello Towers along the coast and also [...]

The Pyramid of Dublin, Killiney Hill. co.Dublin – 1852

If you want a great view of Dublin Bay all the way along Sorrento Terrace, Dalkey Island and out to Bray Head - this is the place. 'The Pyramid of Dublin' is an odd stepped [...]

The UCD Watertower, Belfield. co.Dublin – 1972

This 'futuristic' looking structure is the UCD Watertower. It stands at 197 ft (60m) and was constructed to provide constant water pressure to all the buildings for University College Dublin. It was built in 1972 [...]

St Doulagh’s Baptistry, Balgriffin. co.Dublin – c.12th century

This octagonal structure is Ireland's only surviving standalone baptistry. It covers an underground spring which leads to an open air body of water called St Catherine's Pond. It is located on the grounds of St [...]

Baldongan Church and Tower, Skerries. co.Dublin – c.13th century a.d

This national monument are the ruins of a fortified church constructed by the Knights Templar in the 13th century. It is located between Lusk and Skerries in north co. Dublin. A castle which lay adjacent [...]

St Patrick’s Tower, Thomas Street. Dublin City – 1757

This former windmill, now known as St Patrick's Tower, was the largest smock windmill in Europe and was used to power the Roe Distillery on Thomas Street in Dublin. George Roe and Company had it's [...]

The Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin City – 1684

The Royal Hospital Kilmainham is the finest 17th-century building in Ireland. It has stunning formal gardens over looking the River Liffey and Phoenix Park. It was built in 1684 by Sir William Robinson as a [...]

Poolbeg Chimneys, Ringsend. Dublin City – 1971 and 1977

The Poolbeg Chimneys are well known landmarks in Dublin standing over 680 feet (207 metres) making them some of the tallest structures in Ireland. They have been used as back drops to some of Dublin's [...]

Trinity College Campanile, Trinity University. Dublin City – 1853

The campanile (or bell tower) in Trinity College stands nearly 100 foot tall and was built in 1853 to the designs of the famous architect Sir Charles Lanyon. Lanyon's other works include Queens University Belfast, [...]

The Apprentice Boys of Derry Memorial Hall, Society Street. Derry City – 1873

The Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall and its museum is dedicated to the memory of the 13 Apprentice Boys who closed the City gates in 1688 when Catholic James II of England laid siege to the [...]

Old Derry Jail Tower, Bishop Street. Derry City – 1791

This is the last remaining tower of the old Derry Jail which was built in 1791 and demolished in the 1970s. The jail housed a long list of notable inmates including Wolf Tone, leader of [...]

Browne-Clayton Monument, Carrigadaggan Hill. co.Wexford – 1841

The Browne-Clayton Monument is the only internally accessible Corinthian column in the World and thus is a unique architectural landmark. It was built between 1839 - 41 and stands over 94 ft high on Carrigadaggan [...]

Birthplace of Patrick Kennedy, Dunganstown. co.Wexford – built c.1790

This small cottage in Dunganstown, co. Wexford is the birthplace of JFK's great grandfather Patrick Kennedy (c. 1823 – 1858). By the time Patrick reached adulthood, both his parents were dead and the family homestead was [...]

Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland, Clonskeagh. Dublin City – 1996

This is The Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland (ICCI) is located in Clonskea, South Dublin next to University College Dublin. It was designed by the Irish architect firm, Michael Collins & Associates. The layout is [...]

The Great Windmill, Skerries. co.Dublin – 1750

This windmill, known as 'The Great Windmill of Skerries' was built about 1750. It stands 15 metres in height and has a 20 metre diametre of sail. It commands magnificent views of the coastline and [...]

Load More Posts