Christchurch is built on the most commanding position in Dublin and is one of the finest historical buildings in Ireland. This location was chosen by Sitric Silkbeard, the first Christian Danish King who built a wooden church here in c. 1028. The first stone building here began in 1172 after the conquest of Dublin by Strongbow and evolved from Norman to Early English Gothic in style. It was one of the major pilgrimage sites in the medieval period and started to amass an important collection of relics ranging from a miraculous speaking cross to a piece from the crib of Jesus. Today, it is still possible to see some of these unusual relics including the heart of Laurence O’Toole, patron saint of Dublin. You can also see a mummified cat & rat which are locally known as Tom & Jerry and are mentioned by James Joyce in Finnegan’s wake! Although the Cathedral was heavily restored in the 1870’s by the distiller Henry Roe but it still has some of its original Norman and Early English Gothic structures.