The Cloncha Cross is located in the village of Culdaff in county Donegal and dates from the 10th century a.d. This national monument stands over 12 feet high. It’s beautiful carvings are a hybrid of Christian and Celtic artwork with geometric patterns on both sides alongside depictions of the miracle of the loaves and fishes. It also has carvings of 2 men with folded arms which could be St Paul and St Anthony in the desert. This monastery and the nearby Carrowmore monastery were once regarded as an important seat of skill and learning and during the 1600’s the church was favoured as a ‘favorite’ resting place for bishops and important members of the community. Other interesting relics on site include a pre-Christian bullaun stone and inside the church ruins are two medieval grave slabs, one of which has a carving of a hurley bat that is used for the GAA’s emblem.