Craigavon Bridge is one of only a few double decker road bridges in Europe. It was built in 1933 and named after Lord Craigavon, the first Prime Minister of Northern Ireland. This is the 3rd bridge to be built near this location. The first one was built with wood in 1790 and was called the ‘Earl Hervey Bridge’ and the 2nd was built in with steel in 1863 and was called the Carlisle Bridge (This one however was destroyed by an iceberg). The lower deck of the bridge originally carried a railway line for freight wagons, but this was replaced by a road in 1968. There are now silhouetted murals of trains at each end which stand to mark these railway lines and the famous bronze statue ‘Hands Across the Divide’ by Derry scupltor Maurice Harron, is located on the western end of the bridge at Carlisle Square.