Beware of the body snatchers!

This is Cruagh Churchyard Watchtower located in Rockbrook in south county Dublin. It was built in 1720 as an observation point for a sentry to prevent body snatchers digging up ‘fresh’ dead bodies!  The reason for this was that during the 18th century it was quite common for medical professionals to steal or pay for dead bodies as they were banned from performing dissections. It is located within the grounds of Cruagh Graveyard beside the ruins of a 12th century church.