Doe Castle is located on the shore of Sheephaven Bay in County Donegal. It sits on a small peninsula, surrounded on 3 sides by water with a moat cut into the rock. The castle was built c.1500 and is similar in style to a Scottish tower house. The first occupants were the Mac Sweeneys who were the local rulers of this territory and remained here for about 200 years. In 1608, Sir Cahir O’Doherty used the castle as his headquarters when he attacked Derry. The Mac Sweeneys are back again in 1641 and in 1642 Eoghan Rua O’Neill landed here on his return from Spain to lead the Irish Confederate Army during ‘The Wars of the Three Kingdoms’. The Castle changed hands many times in the subsequent years and one of the owners: General George Vaughan Harte who bought the castle in 1800 left his initials (GVH) embedded on the wall above the east door. A Church of Ireland minister was the last occupant to live here, and when he left in 1909 the castle fell into disrepair. The Landlord, Stewart bam of Ards, sold the property to the Irish Land Commission (OPW) in 1932 and vested it as a National Monument. The most important fact from the last 400 years however is that Irish singer Brian McFadden proposed to his (now ex-) wife, Kerry Katona, at the Castle in 2001, being the spot where his grandfather also proposed to his grandmother. Ahh!!