James Gandon is today recognised as one of the leading architects to have worked in Ireland. He was born in Bond Street, London – 29th February 1742, at the house of his grandfather, a Huguenot refugee. His Chief works include: The Custom House, The Four Courts, Carlisle-bridge (O’Connell Bridge), The Military Hospital in Phoenix Park. additions to the Houses of Parliament (now the Bank of Ireland, Dame Street). King’s Inns. The Court House -Waterford City and Emo Court in co. Laois. He also worked on many private houses, including Abbeville the former home of president Charlie Haughey!
James Gandon (1742 -1823) One of the leading architects to have worked in Irelandemmet