Monkstown Parish Church, Monkstown. County Dublin         1825

Monkstown Parish Church was originally built in 1789 but was re-modelled in 1825 by the famous architect John Semple. Its style is described as ‘castellated Gothic with Moorish influences’ and has similarities to some of Gaudi’s buildings in Barcelona except this was built 50 years earlier. Its styling was described as ‘incorrect’ by the conservative church worshipers but over time it has become to be described as ‘bold, modern and original’ as is regarded as John Semple’s masterpiece. The interior of the church is as equally impressive with its enormous curved vaulting and the three beautiful balconies. Semple designed some of the most prominent churches in Dublin and also designed the inside of the Round Room in the Mansion House which is used by the Irish Parliament. His father (also called John) was also an architect who worked on Gandon’s Custom House.