Galway University opened it’s doors on the 30th of October 1849 to 63 students and was then known as Queen’s College. This was in fact one of three ‘Queen’s Colleges’, the others two were located in Cork and Belfast. This is the oldest part of Galway University as is known as ‘The Quad’. It was by designed by John Benjamin Keane who used the local limestone to built this Tudor Gothic replica of Christ Church College in Oxford. In 1906, Alice Perry graduated from the college and is believed to be the first female in the world to receive a first class honors degree in civil engineering.
National University of Ireland, University Road. Galway City – 1845emmet2014-09-12T18:24:48+00:00