Attacked, burnt and destroyed with everyone killed (except one!)
This National Monument is Roscrea Castle. This was originally the site of a motte and bailey fortification known as King John’s Castle. It was not until 1281 that a stone castle was built for the Bishop of Killaloe. It was granted to the Butlers of Ormond in 1315 who held it until the early 18th Century. The castle has just about managed to survive through the years of Ireland’s turbulent history. Just before the Cromwellian invasion Eoin Roe O’Neill, at the head of 1,200 men, stormed Roscrea in 1646 and reportedly killed every man, woman and child. The only survivor was the governor’s wife, Lady Hamilton, who was a sister to the Earl of Ormond. She was again forced to play host in the castle to O’Neill three years later which again ended by the guests looting everything in sight (including the women’s clothing!) In 1703 the Duke of Ormond sold the castle to the Damer family who built an elegant three-storey pre Palladian house in the courtyard. During the 1800s it the castle was used as a barracks for soldiers. In 1892 the castle became a national monument and is now under the care of the OPW.