St Canice’s Cathedral & Roundtower was built between 1202 and 1285 and is the second longest cathedral in Ireland after St Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin. The Round Tower is approx. 100 feet tall and is the oldest standing structure in Kilkenny City and is one of only two Round Towers that people can climb in Ireland. It is named after St Canice and has been an important ecclesiastical site since the 6th century. It was built after the a local Bishop wanted a cathedral be built here and so asked the new Norman conquerors to fund the building. He understood how important places of worship and symbols of importance were to them. Most of the cathedral is preserved in its original style and includes stained-glass windows, a choir stall with decorated carvings and also a floor which is paved with different coloured marble from the four provinces of Ireland.