Dublin Castles

Puck’s Castle, Rathmichael. co. Dublin c.1520

These are the ruins of Puck's Castle, located in south county Dublin. Many of these structures were built around Dublin between 1400 and 1550 to protect the 'Pale' from the 'wild Irish'. Other similar structures [...]

Drimnagh Castle, Drimnagh. co. Dublin – 1240 (much altered over the years)

Drimnagh Castle, located in south Dublin is one of a few moated castles in Ireland. The original castle here was built around 1240 by a Norman Knight called Hugo de Berneval whose family name was [...]

Monkstown Castle, Monkstown. co.Dublin c.1450

The first castle here was built by the Cistercian Monks of St Mary’s Abbey at the centre of a large farm between the 14th and 15th centuries. This area was at the border of the [...]

Dunsoghly Castle, St.Margarets. co.Dublin c.1450

This national monument is the impressive Dunsoghly Castle located only about 2 miles from the runway of Dublin Airport. It is one of the few 15th century fortified tower houses in Ireland to have survived intact. [...]

Ashtown Castle, Phoenix Park. Dublin City – c.1500

There is a fascinating  story why this castle looks so new....Ashtown Lodge was originally located on this site and in 1978 due to the presence of dry rot it was decided to demolish the 18th [...]

Dalkey Castle and Heritage Centre, Dalkey. co.Dublin – c.15th century

Dalkey is one of the prettiest and most exclusive villages in Ireland. It was once noted for it's seven castles of which only two remain, this one, and Archibald's Castle on the other side of [...]

Rathfarnham Castle, Rathfarnham. co.Dublin – 1583

Rathfarnham Castle was built in 1585 by Adam Loftus, Archbishop of Armagh. This is one of the finest examples of what is described as a 'fortified manor house' in Ireland. It's 4 flanker towers, instead [...]

Howth Castle, Howth. co.Dublin – built c.1450 on an earlier site

Howth Castle has been the private residence of the Gaisford - St Lawrence family for over 800 years since 1177. It has its origins in medieval times when Almeric, the first Lord of Howth, came [...]

Malahide Castle, Malahide. co.Dublin – 1185 enlarged 1470

This castle was built as a large fortress in 1185 by Sir Richard Talbot, a knight who accompanied King Henry II to Ireland. It was was occupied by the Talbot family between 1185 until 1973 making it the longest continuosly inhabited castle in Ireland by the same family. On the morning of the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, 14 members of the family sat and had breakfast together for the last time as none of them returned. It was considerably enlarged during the reign of Edward IV around 1470 and the towers were added in 1765. Dublin County Council bought the property and the 265 acres in 1975 giving public access to one of the finest period interiors and beautiful botanical gardens.

Kilgobbin Castle, Stepaside. co.Dublin – c.1476

Kilgobbin Castle is located near the village of Stepaside. It was built around 1476 by the Walshe family who were 'marcher lords' of the area and controlled extensive tracts of lands in South Dublin. These [...]

St Maelruan’s Church, Tallaght. co.Dublin c.15th a.d. (Tamh Leacht -‘plague pit’)

St Maelruan's Church located in the most historic part of Tallaght was designed by the famous Dublin architect, John Semple. Christian worship has continued on this site for over 1200 years since St Maelruan founded [...]

Dublin Castle Courtyard, Palace Street. Dublin City – 1779

Dublin Castle is located at the highest point in Dublin's centre and so was always the most strategic point for controlling the territory. There is evidence that a 6th century ring fort was located on [...]

Load More Posts