georgian

Delphi Lodge, Delphi Valley. co.Galway 1830

Delphi Lodge is located in one of the most spectacular valleys in Ireland on it's own 1000 acre estate. It is surrounded by wild rivers, beautiful lakes and some of the tallest mountains in Connemara. [...]

Port of Waterford Company Building, Waterford City. co. Waterford 1790

The Port of Waterford Building was originally the town house of the Morris family of Rossduff. It was built to the designs of Waterford's famous Georgian architect John Roberts and contains an exquisite oval staircase [...]

Marlay House, Marlay Park. co. Dublin – 1764

Marlay House is located in 300 acres of the parklands in south Dublin. The origins of this estate can be traced back to the Anglo Norman conquest of Ireland.  The original house here was built [...]

The Cashel Palace Hotel, Cashel. co.Tipperary 1732 (Caiseal-Rock of the Kings)

The Cashel Palace Hotel was built in 1732 by Archbishop Theophilus Bolton and was designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce. Pearce was the leading architect in Ireland and was the man who designed the original [...]

Armagh Observatory, Armagh City 1790

Armagh Observatory was established by Richard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh, in 1789. Robinson was not only the leader of the Church of Ireland but was also a multi-millionaire by today's standards and as as an [...]

Prehen House, Prehen. Derry City – 1740

Prehen House is an absolute gem and should really be one of the north west's top attractions. This historic early Irish Georgian styled Manor House was built in 1740 with the finest materials for Andrew [...]

Trinity College Dublin, College Green. Dublin City – 1751

This is the beautiful front of Trinity College facing Dame Street. Until recently it was assumed that architects Henry Keene and John Sanderson were responsible for it's design however newer evidence points to an English [...]

Newbridge House, Donabate. co.Dublin – 1736

Newbridge House is a beautiful perfect example of an early Georgian mansion. It was built in 1736 for the Archbishop Charles Cobb and designed by the famous Irish architect George Semple (1700-1782) and the Scottish [...]

Avondale House, Rathdrum. Co.Wicklow – 1777

Avondale House was the birthplace and home of Charles Stewart Parnell (1846 -1891) one of the greatest political leaders in Irish history. The house was originally built for Samuel Hayes in 1777 but when he [...]

Carton House, Maynooth. co.Kildare – 1739

Carton House was built in 1739 for the Fitzgerald family. It was designed by the famous architect Richard Cassels whose other works include Leinster House, Powerscourt House, The Connoly Folly and Russborough House. The history [...]

The Pearse Museum, Rathfarnham. co.Dublin – 1786

The Pearse Museum which was formerly an Irish speaking school named 'St. Enda's' is an 18th century house situated in scenic parkland near Rathfarnham in south Dublin. It is dedicated to the memory of the [...]

The Rotunda Hospital, Parnell Street. Dublin City – 1757

The Rotunda Hospital is the oldest continuously operating maternity hospital in the World. It is also estimated that over 300,000 babies were born here and the first caesarean section in Ireland was performed here in [...]

Fahan House, Fahan. co.Donegal – c.1765

Fahan House is a beautiful ivy clad Georgian house located in Fahan, co.Donegal. Fahan means 'little green field' in Irish and has the ruins of an important 6th-century monastery which features a 7th-century cross-slab of [...]

Mount Juliet, Thomastown. co.Kilkenny – 1757

Mount Juliet was built in 1757 by the Earl of Carrick in compliment to his wife, Lady Juliana (Juliet). This estate has very strong Norman associations and in particular with the great Butler family. This [...]

Clifton House, Clifton Street. Belfast City – 1774 (Béal Feirste – Mouth of the Sandbanks)

Clifton House is regarded as one of Belfast's finest Georgian buildings. It was built in 1774 by The Belfast Charitable Society and was used until the late 1880′s as Belfast’s Poor House. Although the Dublin [...]

St Stephen’s Church, Mount Street Cresent. Dublin City – 1824

This Dublin gem is St Stephen's Church. It was built in 1824 and is fondly known as 'The Pepper Canister' or the 'Pepper Pot Church'. It was originally designed by John Bowden but was completed, [...]

Dublin Castle Courtyard, Palace Street. Dublin City – 1779

Dublin Castle is located at the highest point in Dublin's centre and so was always the most strategic point for controlling the territory. There is evidence that a 6th century ring fort was located on [...]

Load More Posts