Industrial

Herdman’s Mill, Sion Mills. co. Tyrone – 1853

The town of Sion Mills is full of quirky and interesting buildings built in the 19th century. The power supplied by the River Mourne was the main reason why this linen mill was built here [...]

Guinness Storehouse, St James’s Gate. Dublin City – est 1759. built 1902

The building in which the Storehouse is located was constructed in 1902 as a fermentation plant for the St. James's Gate Brewery. It was designed in the style of the Chicago School of Architecture and [...]

Ballycorus Lead Mine, Shankill. co.Dublin – 1807

The Ballychorus Lead Mine Tower was built in 1807 after a vein of lead was found within this hill. It is the only example left in Ireland and is regarded as one of the finest [...]

Vartry Resevoir Tower, Roundwood. co.Wicklow – 1923

The Vartry Reservoir  is located at Roundwood in County Wicklow.  The original (lower) reservoir was completed in 1863, and has a capacity of 11.3 billion litres and a maximum depth of 18.3 meters. A second [...]

Poolbeg Chimneys, Ringsend. Dublin City – 1971 and 1977

The Poolbeg Chimneys are well known landmarks in Dublin standing over 680 feet (207 metres) making them some of the tallest structures in Ireland. They have been used as back drops to some of Dublin's [...]

The Great Windmill, Skerries. co.Dublin – 1750

This windmill, known as 'The Great Windmill of Skerries' was built about 1750. It stands 15 metres in height and has a 20 metre diametre of sail. It commands magnificent views of the coastline and [...]

The Small Windmill, Skerries. co.Dublin – 1525

This windmill was built around 1525 on a circular plan and is capped with thatched conical roof. It had four canvas sails that were turned into the wind from inside by a hand lever. The [...]

Samson & Goliath Cranes, Queen’s Island. Belfast City – 1969 & 1974

These are the famous landmark gantry cranes that dominate the Belfast skyline. Samson and Goliath are named after Biblical figures and are located on Queen's Island in the Harland & Wolff shipyard. They were constructed by [...]

The Star Factory, Foyle Road. Derry City – 1899

The Star Factory was built in 1899 for the Messrs.Bayer Company who were shirt makers and was designed by Daniel Convoy. In the early 1900's Derry was the principal seat of the shirt industry in [...]

Load More Posts