neo-classical

Strokestown Park House, Strokestown. co.Roscommon 1730

Strokestown Park House, set on 300 acres of parklands is one of Ireland's finest and most intact Palladian mansions. It's centre block was completed in 1696 but was extended around 1730 by the famous architect Richard [...]

Musseden Temple, Downhill. co.Derry 1785

The Mussenden Temple was built in 1785 and forms part of the estate of Frederick Augustus Hervey 'the Earl Bishop', Bishop of Derry and Earl of Bristol. It is perched dramatically on a 120 ft [...]

Stillorgan Obelisk, Newtown-Park. co. Dublin 1727

The Stillorgan Obelisk built in 1729, is possibly the first obelisk to be built in Ireland. It was on the grounds of Stillorgan Park House by Lord Allen who commissioned the famous architect Edward Lovett [...]

Bishops Palace, Armagh City. co. Armagh 1770

The Bishop's Palace in Armagh is a beautiful Neo-Classical building situated in 300 acres of parkland. This was the residence of the Archbishops of the Church of Ireland from 1770 to 1975. It was built [...]

The Bishop’s Palace, Waterford City. co.Waterford 1741

The Bishop’s Palace in Waterford City was built in 1741 and designed by the famous architect Richard Castle. This was the site of an earlier medieval palace and became the home of the Church of [...]

Florence Court, Enniskillen. co.Fermanagh 1755

Florence Court was the former home of 'The Earls of Enniskillene' and is regarded as one of the great houses of Ireland and a fascinating example of mid-18th century Irish Palladian architecture. It was built [...]

Collins Barracks, Arbour Hill. Dublin City – 1702

The location for Collins Barracks was originally earmarked for a mansion for the Duke of Ormond. It was built in 1702 in a Neoclassical style to the designs of Thomas Burgh and is the oldest [...]

Glencullen House, Glencullen. co.Dublin – c.1800 (Gleann Cuilinn-‘Valley of the Holly’)

Glencullen House is a Neoclassical style villa designed by the famous Irish architect, Francis Johnson. The house, along with it's Doric portico was added to an older farmhouse already positioned in this stunning tree lined [...]

Westport House, Westport. co. Mayo – 1730

Westport House was built in 1730 and is considered to be one of Ireland's most beautiful historic homes. It was designed by the famous architects Richard Cassels and James Wyatt. Cassels, born in German, also [...]

Ennis Courthouse, Ennis. co.Clare – 1850

Ennis Courthouse was built in 1850 in a Neoclassical style to the designs of Joseph B Keane and Henry Whitestone. The first attempt to hold a court in County Clare was recorded to have been [...]

Russborough House, Blessington. co. Wicklow – 1741

Russborough is often referred to as Ireland's most beautiful house. It is also Ireland's longest, with a facade of over 700 feet in length. It was designed by Richard Cassels, one of the greatest architects [...]

The Hellfire Club, Mount Pelier Hill. co.Dublin-1725

This infamous building was built in 1725 by William 'Speaker' Conolly as a hunting lodge for his Rathfarnham estate. It was originally known as 'Mount Pelier House' and has spectacular views over the entire City [...]

Emo Court, Emo. co.Laois -1790

Emo Court is a country villa designed, but not built by the famous architect James Gandon (1742 - 1823). Gandon is best known for his great public buildings in Dublin which include 'The Custom House' [...]

Carton House, Maynooth. co.Kildare – 1739

Carton House was built in 1739 for the Fitzgerald family. It was designed by the famous architect Richard Cassels whose other works include Leinster House, Powerscourt House, The Connoly Folly and Russborough House. The history [...]

Castletown House, Celbridge. co.Kildare – 1729

Castletown is Ireland's largest and earliest Palladian style house and is significant in terms of European architectural heritage. It's façade was almost certainly designed by the Italian architect, Alessandro Galilei and the Irish architect Sir [...]

US Ambassador’s Residence, Phoenix Park. Dublin City-1776 (fionn uisce- “clear water’)

This beautiful building was built in 1776 for Sir John Blaquiere, the Chief Secretary for Ireland. It then became the official residence for this post (which was akin to Prime Minister) and 69 Chief Secretaries [...]

The Irish Army Headquarters, Phoenix Park. Dublin City – 1786

This is The Irish Army Headquarters built in 1786 as the Royal Military Infirmary by the designs of James Gandon.

The Rotunda Hospital, Parnell Street. Dublin City – 1757

The Rotunda Hospital is the oldest continuously operating maternity hospital in the World. It is also estimated that over 300,000 babies were born here and the first caesarean section in Ireland was performed here in [...]

The General Post Office, O’Connell Street. Dublin City – 1814

The General Post Office (GPO) is one of Ireland's most famous buildings and was the last great Georgian style public building erected in the capital. It was built to the designs of Francis Johnson whose [...]

Bank of Ireland, College Green. Dublin City – 1739

The Bank of Ireland at College Green was the World's first purpose-built two-chamber parliament house. It served as both the chambers for the Lords and the Commons for the Irish Parliament of 'The Kingdom of [...]

The Four Courts, Inns Quay. Dublin City – 1776

This site, on the north side of the River Liffey, was formerly the location of a 13th century Dominican Friary and housed the 4 courts of Chancery, Kings Bench, Exchequer and Common Pleas. Before this [...]

Belfast City Hall, Donegall Square. Belfast City – 1906

Belfast City Hall, built in 1906, is regarded as one of the finest buildings of it's era in the United Kingdom. Plans began in 1888 when Belfast was awarded city status by Queen Victoria. This [...]

Parliament Buildings, Stormont Estate. Belfast City – 1932

This impressive structure is the Parliament Building for Northern Ireland, better known as Stormont. In 1920, when 'Home Rule' was established in Northern Ireland, plans were launched to construct new parliament. The Stormont estate was [...]

Powerscourt House, Enniskerry. co.Wicklow – 1741

Powerscourt House was built in 1741 and is one of Ireland's finest mansions. It is situated in exquisite formal gardens under the watch of Sugar loaf Mountain. It was designed by the famous German architect [...]

Radisson Blu St Helen’s Hotel, Stillorgan. co.Dublin 1750

The 5* Radisson Blu St Helen's Hotel in Dublin was once one of Ireland's most magnificent private houses. It was built in 1750 as a home for the Dublin barrister Thomas Cooley who was also [...]

St Stephen’s Church, Mount Street Cresent. Dublin City – 1824

This Dublin gem is St Stephen's Church. It was built in 1824 and is fondly known as 'The Pepper Canister' or the 'Pepper Pot Church'. It was originally designed by John Bowden but was completed, [...]

Aras an Uachtarain, Phoenix Park. Dublin City – 1751 (‘House of the President’)

Aras an Uachtarain means 'House of the President' in Irish. The original house was built in 1751 and was designed by and for the park ranger and amateur architect, Nathaniel Clements. It then became home [...]

The Northern Bank, Shipquay Place. Derry City – 1866

This beautiful golden sandstone building was formerly known as The Northern Bank Building (It is now a Danske Bank). It was built in 1866 to the designs of the Irish architect Thomas Turner. Turner was [...]

Casino Marino, Malahide Road. Dublin City – 1775

Casino Marino is regarded as one of the finest Neo-Classical buildings in Europe and is also one of the most surprising. It was designed by Sir William Chambers as a pleasure home for James Caulfield [...]

Custom House, Custom Quay. Dublin City – 1791

Custom House Quay is Dublin's most architecturally important building and is regarded as a masterpiece of European Neoclassicism. It was designed by James Gandon (1743 – 1823) who today, is recognized as the leading architect [...]

Dublin Castle Courtyard, Palace Street. Dublin City – 1779

Dublin Castle is located at the highest point in Dublin's centre and so was always the most strategic point for controlling the territory. There is evidence that a 6th century ring fort was located on [...]

Load More Posts