Odd and Curious

Clonmines Medieval Borough, Wellington Bridge. co.Wexford c.13th-16th centuries

This interesting site is one of the best preserved and much over-looked medieval towns in Ireland. Clonmines probably began it's life as a Norman settlement established by William Marshall in the 13th century as an [...]

Staigue Fort, Sneem. co.Kerry c.300 a.d (Caiseal Stéig – ‘the fort of the steps/ the windy fort’)

Staigue Fort is an ancient ring fort located in a spectacular isolated valley not far from village of Sheem on the Ring of Kerry. It commands incredible sweeping views out across Kenmare Bay to the [...]

Ninch Barrow Mound, Laytown. co.Meath c.400 a.d?

This mound located on the right hand side of the road between Julianstown and Laytown stands nearly 20 feet high and is 75 feet in diameter. It sits beside a modern bungalow and resembles a [...]

The National Famine Memorial, Murrisk. co.Mayo 1997

The National Famine Memorial is located in Murrisk in co. Mayo at the foot of Croagh Patrick and commands panoramic views over the landscape of Clew Bay. This striking sculpture was crafted by John Behan [...]

Swiss Cottage, Cahir. co.Tipperary 1810

This national monument as is regarded as one of the finest examples of a 'cottage ornee' in Europe. These fantasy houses were popular with the gentry in the 19th century where they could play at [...]

Knockmany Cairn & Annya’s Tomb, Augher. co.Tyrone 3000 b.c>100 a.d

This interesting site is located on a beautiful forested hilltop 700 feet above sea level near the village of Augher in County Tyrone. It's name in Irish 'Cnoc mBaine' has had various different interpretations from [...]

Musseden Temple, Downhill. co.Derry 1785

The Mussenden Temple was built in 1785 and forms part of the estate of Frederick Augustus Hervey 'the Earl Bishop', Bishop of Derry and Earl of Bristol. It is perched dramatically on a 120 ft [...]

O’Doherty’s Keep, Buncrana. co. Donegal c.1300? (Bun Cranncha-‘foot of the River Crana’)

This interesting little building is located in Buncrana on the estuary of the Crana River and is locally  known as 'O'Doherty's Keep'. The structure resembles a fortified tower house from the 15th century but recent [...]

The Anchorite Cell Chapel, Fore. co.Westmeath c.1830 on earlier site

This little building is the Anchorite Cell Chapel and is part of the Fore Abbey complex. The original church here was founded by St Feichin in 630 and the abbey later expanded to have up [...]

The Molly Malone Statue, Grafton Street (now removed). Dublin City 1988

The Molly Malone Statue was designed by Jeanne Rynhart and based on a popular song of a 17th century fictional character to celebrate Dublin's first millennium in 1988. It tells the tale of a fishmonger [...]

The German Military Cemetery, Glencree. co.Wicklow 1945

The German Military Cemetery, located beside the Glencree centre for Peace and Reconciliation in the Wicklow Mountains. This was originally a quarry owned by Lord Powerscourt to supply the nearby military barracks. Although Ireland positioned [...]

Navan Fort (Emain Macha), Armagh City. co. Armagh 95 b.c

Navan Fort is a state care national monument, located 2 miles from the Cathedral City of Armagh. This is one of Ireland's most important ancient monuments and according to ancient mythology, was one of the [...]

Athcarne Cross, Balrath. co. Meath c.1675

The Athcarne Cross is located close to the historic village of Duleek, County Meath, Ireland. This national monument was erected circa 1675 as a memorial to Sir Luke Bathe and his wife, Dame Cecilia Dowdall, [...]

Kilnasaggart Pillar Stone, Jonesborough. co. Armagh c.700 a.d

The Kilnasaggart Pillar Stone is one of the earliest datable stone monuments in Ireland. It stands 2 metres tall in a field near the village of Jonesborough in co. Armagh. The ogham script on the [...]

Caves of Kesh, Ballymote. co. Sligo

The limestone Caves of Kesh are located half way up the side of a mountain and can be reached by a 200 m assent up a steep grassy slope. There are many mythological stories associated [...]

Armagh Observatory, Armagh City 1790

Armagh Observatory was established by Richard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh, in 1789. Robinson was not only the leader of the Church of Ireland but was also a multi-millionaire by today's standards and as as an [...]

Clontarf Castle Gatehouse, Clontarf. co. Dublin 1837

This is the beautiful gatehouse for Clontarf Castle which along with the castle were totally remodeled in the 1830's. The original castle was built by the Norman, Hugh de Lacy, in 1172 near the site [...]

The Glencree Centre for Peace and Reconciliation, Glencree. co.Wicklow 1806

The Glencree Centre for Peace and Reconciliation was originally constructed by the British Army as a barracks in 1806. They were built in response to the Irish Rebellion of 1798 and the French Wars of [...]

Cúchulainn’s Stone (Clochafarmore), Knockbridge. co.Louth 500 b.c>500 a.d

According to legend, the mortally wounded Cúchulainn bound himself to this 10 foot pillar stone, so he could stand tall and face his enemies until the moment of his death. These did not dare approach [...]

Griesebank House, Ballitore. co.Kildare – 1700

Griesebank House, located in Ballitore, co. Kildare was a former school for Quakers. It was founded by Abraham Shackleton in 1726 (a fore father of the great polar explorer, Ernest Shackelton). Quakers are a relatively [...]

Gallarus Oratory, Gallarus. co. Kerry c.6th -12th century a.d?

The Gallarus Oratory located on the Dingle Peninsula is one of Ireland's most famous landmarks. It's simple and stunning shape has been compared to that of an upturned boat. Every stone in it's construction has [...]

Ireland’s only Fjord – Killary Harbour, Lennane. co.Galway

Killary Harbour, is classified as Ireland's only fjord. It is located beside the beautiful village of Leenane which is often aptly described as the Gateway to Connemara. It forms a partial border between counties Galway [...]

Ireland’s highest mountain – Carrantuohill, co.Kerry 3,406 ft

Carrantuohill is the highest peak in Ireland. It is located in co. Kerry and stands, 1,038 metres (3,406 ft). It is the central peak of the Macgillycuddy's Reeks range. The peak of Carrauntoohil is topped [...]

Clonfinlough Stone, Clonfinlough. co.Offaly c.1000 b.c – 1400 a.d ?

This national monument is the intriguing Clonfinlough Stone. It is 8 foot x 10 foot and is completely covered with rock art carvings including cup marks, a cross and even a foot print. It [...]

The Old Fort, Shannonbridge. co.Offaly – 1810

This odd and unique looking building is the Old Fort at Shannonbridge which was built at a strategic location on the Shannon River. At the turn of the nineteenth century there was constant fear in [...]

Loftus Hall, Hook Head. co.Wexford – 1872

Loftus Hall is said to have been the most haunted house in Ireland and is possessed by a young woman and the devil himself! This was originally the site of a castle built by the [...]

The Monk’s Fishing House, Cong. co. Mayo – c.15th or 16th century

These are the remains of The Monk's Fishing House located in the grounds of Cong Abbey. This ingenious structure was built sometime between 1400 and 1550 on a platform over the River Cong. A small [...]

The Skull House, Moville. co.Donegal – c.6th century a.d

This curious looking is called the Skull House. It measures 8.5 X 6.5 feet and may have served as an oratory. It stands within a graveyard in the parish of Cooley overlooking Lough Foyle and [...]

The Stone of Destiny, Hill of Tara. co. Meath – c.500 b.c

The Stone of Destiny otherwise known as the 'Lia Fail' is located on the inauguration mound on the Hill of Tara. It served as the coronation stone for thousands of years for the High Kings [...]

The Curiousity Shop, Malin Head. co.Donegal

The Curiosity Shop in Malin Head is the country’s most northerly shop. It is covered wall-to-wall in every type of bric-a brac including pictures or Arthur Guinness, unusual wine bottle openers, old posters, old coins, [...]

Cloncha Church, Culdaff. co.Donegal – built c.1600 on ancient site

This National Monument is Cloncha Church located near the village of Culdaff. This location is one of the most important early Christian sites in Ireland and from the sixth century onwards, it was favoured by [...]

Ballycorus Lead Mine, Shankill. co.Dublin – 1807

The Ballychorus Lead Mine Tower was built in 1807 after a vein of lead was found within this hill. It is the only example left in Ireland and is regarded as one of the finest [...]

Cruagh Churchyard Watchtower, Rockbrook. co.Dublin – 1720

This is Cruagh Watchtower, located in Rockbrook in south county Dublin. It was built c. 1720 as an observation point for a sentry to prevent body snatchers digging up 'fresh' dead bodies!  The reason for [...]

Avondale House Gatelodge, Rathdrum. co.Wicklow – 1777

This is the eccentric looking building is the gate lodge for Avondale House - the birthplace and home of Charles Stewart Parnell (1846 -1891). It was probably designed by the famous English architect James Wyatt [...]

St Molin’s Well, Mullennakill. co.Kilkenny – 7th century a.d

This holy well is dedicated to St Molin, a 7th century saint who worked under St Brendan. After his conversion to Christianity he lived for a while in a nearby cave in the usual austere [...]

The Hellfire Club, Mount Pelier Hill. co.Dublin-1725

This infamous building was built in 1725 by William 'Speaker' Conolly as a hunting lodge for his Rathfarnham estate. It was originally known as 'Mount Pelier House' and has spectacular views over the entire City [...]

The Old Forge, Enniskerry. co.Wicklow – 1855

This pretty little building was built as a forge by the Wingfield family of Powerscourt. Coach travel was the most common form of transport in the 19th century and many wealthy Dubliners and Victorian holiday [...]

Vartry Resevoir Tower, Roundwood. co.Wicklow – 1923

The Vartry Reservoir  is located at Roundwood in County Wicklow.  The original (lower) reservoir was completed in 1863, and has a capacity of 11.3 billion litres and a maximum depth of 18.3 meters. A second [...]

The Papal Cross, Phoenix Park. Dublin City – 1979 (fionn uisce- “clear water’)

The Papal Cross is a simple large white cross that was erected near the edge of the Fifteen Acres area in Phoenix Park for the Papal visit of Pope John Paul II on the 29th [...]

Rathmore Motte Castle, Rathmore. co.Kildare – c.12th century a.d

Rathmore is located in north county Kildare and is named after this 'Great Motte'. The Motte is a large flat-topped mound that was used as the'castle' headquarters for one of the Norman Fitzgeralds. In 1894 [...]

The Bottle Tower, Churchtown. co.Dublin – 1741

This odd looking building is locally known as 'The Bottle Tower' and is located in Churchtown, South Dublin. It was built in reaction to the 1740/1 famine which ravished Ireland and many parts of Europe. [...]

The Pearse Museum, Rathfarnham. co.Dublin – 1786

The Pearse Museum which was formerly an Irish speaking school named 'St. Enda's' is an 18th century house situated in scenic parkland near Rathfarnham in south Dublin. It is dedicated to the memory of the [...]

The Pyramid of Dublin, Killiney Hill. co.Dublin – 1852

If you want a great view of Dublin Bay all the way along Sorrento Terrace, Dalkey Island and out to Bray Head - this is the place. 'The Pyramid of Dublin' is an odd stepped [...]

The UCD Watertower, Belfield. co.Dublin – 1972

This 'futuristic' looking structure is the UCD Watertower. It stands at 197 ft (60m) and was constructed to provide constant water pressure to all the buildings for University College Dublin. It was built in 1972 [...]

St Doulagh’s Church, Cross and Baptistry, Balgriffin. co.Dublin – c.12th century a.d

St Doulagh's Church is Ireland's oldest stone-roofed church that is still in use today. The complex also comprises of a stone pool-house and an octagonal structure which is also Ireland's only surviving standalone baptistry. The [...]

Carrick Hill Martello Tower, Portmarnock. co.Dublin – 1805

This Martello tower was built in 1805 as part of the British strategy in Ireland to prevent a  French invasion. The Martello tower design was copied by the British from a tower in Sicily and [...]

St Doulagh’s Baptistry, Balgriffin. co.Dublin – c.12th century

This octagonal structure is Ireland's only surviving standalone baptistry. It covers an underground spring which leads to an open air body of water called St Catherine's Pond. It is located on the grounds of St [...]

St Patrick’s Tower, Thomas Street. Dublin City – 1757

This former windmill, now known as St Patrick's Tower, was the largest smock windmill in Europe and was used to power the Roe Distillery on Thomas Street in Dublin. George Roe and Company had it's [...]

Load More Posts