This little building is the Anchorite Cell Chapel and is part of the Fore Abbey complex. The original church here was founded by St Feichin in 630 and the abbey later expanded to have up to 300 monks and 2000 students living in it’s grounds. The Abbey was also ‘rich pickings’ for the local Gaelic clans and Vikings as it was recorded to have been burned and attacked 12 times between 771 and 1169. It also was later regularly seized by English authorities as “alien property” as it had strong ties to France especially when England was at war with them. This little chapel was occupied by hermits until the 17th century and a small plaque inside commemorates the very last hermit known in Ireland, a man named Patrick Beglan who occupied the cell in 1616. An anchorite is one who lives the reclusive life of a hermit for religious reasons.