The ‘The Treaty of Limerick’ between King William and King James II was signed on this stone in 1691. After the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, the remainder of James II’s defeated army retired to Limerick under the command of Patrick Sarsfield 1st Earl of Lucan, where they held out a siege for over a year. When they surrendered, they were given the option of safe passage to France with their wives and families. Most took this option along with Sarsfield in what became known as the Flight of the Wild Geese. Once in France they formed the Irish Brigade of the French Army. Under the civil articles, Jacobites who remained in Ireland were to be left in peace as long as they pledged allegiance to King William. They were allowed to keep their estates and property. Catholic noblemen were also permitted to carry arms under the Treaty. Despite this, the Penal Laws came in a few years later (in the mid-1690s). Under these laws, Irish Catholics were deeply persecuted, and the Treaty of Limerick was ignored. The Treaty Stone was erected on its pedestal in 1865.