This is the beautiful front of Trinity College facing Dame Street. Until recently it was assumed that architects Henry Keene and John Sanderson were responsible for it’s design however newer evidence points to an English amateur architect Theodore Jacobsen. In 1751, the board of the college asked Parliament (which was then situated directly across the road in the present Bank of Ireland building on College Green) for financial help for it’s construction. A part of the deal was that any of the unspent money should be returned to the English Parliament. The Irish MPs were very receptive to spending all the funds and the result was that Trinity was built more grandly than any college in Cambridge or Oxford. One nil to the Irish!