Blog Medium Image

Blog Medium Image2019-06-21T10:25:47+00:00

Biddy’s O’Barnes Pub, Barnesmore Gap. County Donegal

A famous landlady, a deep ravine and bad luck if you don't stop!  Biddy's O'Barnes is named after one of it's famous landladies. It dates back to the late 19th century when coach travel was the main form of transport and it was at this stopping point that horses were rested and travelers relaxed before the next stage of [...]

By |June 23rd, 2019|Categories: County Donegal, The Province of Ulster, Traditional Irish Pubs|Tags: |0 Comments

Gougane Barra, Ballingeary. County Cork 6th-19th centuries

One of the most picturesque churches in Ireland Gougane Barra is a wild and wonderful glaciated valley located in the Shehy Mountains in West Cork. The name translates to mean 'Finbarr's Rock' and is named after a 6th century monk who reputedly founded a monastery here on the little island in the lake. Most of the present ruins [...]

Lough Eske Castle, Lough Eske. County Donegal   1868

A 5 Star Beauty in the wilds of Donegal Lough Eske was once part of the domain of the powerful O’Donnell clan who ruled from the nearby Donegal Castle for hundreds of years. After the Flight of the Earls in 1607 when all the great northern Gaelic chiefs sailed from Ireland to the continent this area was granted to [...]

Boyle Abbey, Boyle. County Roscommon  1161-1592

An excellent example of an early Irish Cistercian Monastery Boyle Abbey was the first Cistercian monastery founded in the province of Connacht and is now a national monument. It was established in 1161 under the patronage of the MacDermotts who ruled this area at the time and was completed in 1218. It had a church, a rectangular cloister [...]

Creevykeel Court Tomb, Creevykeel. County Sligo c.2500-4000BC

One of the finest and largest court tombs in Ireland This national monument is in a chain of five megalithic buildings along this ancient route in county Sligo. It dates from the Neolithic period (c.2500-4000 BC) and consists of a wedge-shaped cairn and an oval-shaped court. The court area measures 45-feet by 27-feet and is among the largest [...]

Sligo Abbey, Sligo Town. County Sligo       1252

The only sculptured 15th century altar to survive in Ireland Sligo Abbey is located right in the middle of Sligo Town. It was built by Maurice Fitzgerald for the Dominicans in 1252 and includes a great wealth of carvings. These include Gothic and Renaissance tomb sculpture, well preserved cloisters and the only sculptured 15th century high altar to [...]