Fortified tower houses are singled towered, fortified residences built by the ‘Old English’ and Gaelic Irish between about 1400 – 1600. These structures were built primarily for defense and had protected doorways with iron grills which allowed negotiations but prevented entry. Most were 3 to 5 stories high and had narrow windows and stepped battlements. After 1600 they became known as fortified houses and after 1800 they were manor houses or mock-castles.
Johnstown Castle is located on the 150 acre Johnstown Castle Estate near Rathaspeck in County Wexford. The original castle was built in the late 12th century by the Esmonde family of Lincolnshire soon after [...]