Once the site of a 7th century monastery, A Cistercian abbey & A convent

This was originally the site of the 7th-century monastery of St Evin. In the 12th century, it became a rich and powerful Cistercian Monastery and after the suppression of the monasteries, it was granted to Lord Audley, then to Lord Viscount Ely and then to the Marquis of Drogheda’s family. The beautiful building you see today was built by the 6th Earl of Drogheda in 1760 and designed by the English engineer Christopher Myers in the Gothic style. The 10th Earl of Drogheda abandoned the house after the First World War and it was leased to John Count McCormack, a famous tenor of the time, from 1925 to 1937. The 10th Earl then put the abbey up for sale shortly after Count McCormack moved out and in 1938 it became the Irish headquarters of the Sisters of Charity of Jesus and Mary, now known as the Muiriosa Foundation. This former convent is now a home for people with intellectual disabilities.