Kilternan Church of Ireland was built in 1826 to the designs of the famous Dublin architect John Semple. Semple was the leading architect in Dublin during the 1820’s and 1830’s. Many of his designs are described as ‘late English Gothic style’. His other works include The Blackchurch on O’Connell Street, Donnybrook Church of Ireland, St. Maelruans in Tallaght, Monkstown Parish Church and Whitechurch. He was also involved in the design of the inside of ‘The Round Room’ on Dawson Street. The earliest mention of the name Kilternan occurs in the Papal Taxation Rolls of 1306 and the first record of the parish as being the property of St Mary’s Abbey of Dublin is in a charter dated 1406. Kilternan is one of the view villages in Ireland that lacks a traditional village centre and is also the location of Ireland’s only artificial ski slope.