Straffan Parish Church was built in 1838 and takes it’s architectural design from France. This connection was through the local Barton family who built the nearby K-Club. Thomas Barton, originally from Buttevant in Co. Cork settled in Bordeaux in France and founded the famous wine firm of B & G winery (also known as Barton and Guestierdue). Thomas’s grandson Hugh, eventually moved back to Ireland during The Reign of Terror in France as it was too dangerous for a non French aristocrat to live there. Hugh Barton bought land around Straffan in 1831 and and built the nearby K-Club (which is again based on the magnificent château at Louveciennes near Paris). When Hugh Barton died on the 25th of May, 1854 aged 89 his body was buried along with his wife Ann in the grounds of this church. The church has stained glass windows by Alfred Child and Catherine O’Brien and several monuments to the Barton family.