This very unusual church is a pre-fabricated structure consisting of a metal exterior and a beautiful wooden interior. The church was consecrated in 1973 however the structure dates from 1924. It was purchased and brought over from England and is similar many English army churches. It may originally have been intended to be located at the nearby Curragh Irish army camp. Sallins grew as a result of its position on both the Grand Canal and the Dublin to Cork railway line. Historically, the major employers in the village were Odlum’s Flour Mills and a meat factory, although the latter is now closed. Theobald Wolfe Tone is buried near Sallins village in Bodenstown graveyard. Each summer, Irish Republicans of various political and paramilitary groupings congregate at Sallins to hold commemorations at Tone’s grave.