This location was regarded as one of the ‘key’ ancient sites as it was the end point where one of the Royal roads from Tara ended. There is also a holy well nearby that was reputedly used by St Patrick to baptise a local man called Olcan who went on to become Bishop of Ireland. Dunseverick was also the seat of ‘Fergus the Great’ the 6th century AD. Fergus took the ‘Lia Fail’ – Ireland’s most famous coronation stone, from here on a boat to Scotland to be crowned King of Dalriada. Records say that it was raided by Viking on a number of occasions in the late 800’s. In 1000 it was captured and held by the O’Cahans for the next 300 years. This was followed by the MacDonnells and finally the McQuillans. It was eventually destroyed by General Robert Munro in 1642 and again by Cromwellian troops in the 1650s. A small residential tower survived until 1978 when it eventually fell into the sea below. Today only the ruins of the gate lodge remain.