The Bishop’s Palace in Armagh is a beautiful Neoclassical building situated in 300 acres of parkland. This was the residence of the Archbishops of the Church of Ireland from 1770 to 1975. It was built for Archbishop Richard Robinson to the designs of Francis Johnston (his other works include The GPO in Dublin) and it was later altered by Thomas Cooley who also designed The Royal Exchange and The Four Courts in Dublin. These were 2 of Ireland’s most famous architects of the time. It is now the headquarters for Armagh City and District Council after being vacated by the Archbishop in the 1970s and has been classified as a grade ‘A’ listed building for its original architectural set pieces. Armagh was the ancient territory of the Ulaid before the 4th century AD and was ruled from the nearby Emain Macha (or Navan Fort) and is also regarded as the ancient seat of St. Patrick.