This national monument is the Fourknocks Passage Tomb that dates to c.3000 b.c. It’s name may derive from the Irish word ‘Fuair Cnocs’ that translates to ‘cold hills’ or it just may refer to the 4 tombs on the nearby hills. The short passage leads into a wide pear shaped chamber which has 3 smaller offset chambers. The original roof was probably a wooden structure that was supported by a central pole. The current concrete roof was constructed in 1952 at the end of a 2 year excavation. Fragments of 65 burials were found in the tomb that were both the cremated and uncremated remains of adults and children. Decorated pottery, vessels and personal ornaments, including pendants and beads, were also found and moved to the National Museum of Ireland. Inside the main chamber to the left of the entrance is one of the few representations of a human face from the Neolithic Period in Ireland. The Face Stone is about 3 feet high and looks like a prehistoric smiley face. The key for the entrance door to this passage tomb can be obtained from Mr. Fintan White whose directions can be found at the tomb. There are 2 more Passage Tombs in the next field but these are overgrown with grass and furze bushes.