The Cathedral of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and St Nicholas is more commonly known as Galway Cathedral. This site, on the banks of the Corrib River, was originally the site of the old city jail. Work began in 1958 and was completed in 1965 making this the last great stone Cathedral to be built in Europe. The dome, at a height of 44.2 meters (145 ft), is a prominent landmark on the city skyline. Its architecture draws on many influences with the dome and pillars reflecting a Renaissance style and the rose windows and mosaics, echo the broad tradition of Christian art. The word “cathedral” is derived from the Greek ‘kathedra’ meaning seat as only a Cathedral can contain a bishop’s seat.