St Aidan’s Cathedral was designed by the famous Victorian architect Augustus Welby Pugin (1812 – 1852). Pugin is remembered for his pioneering role in the Gothic Revival style and was an extraordinarily gifted artist who designed ceramics, stained glass, wallpapers, textiles, memorial brasses and church plate. The pinnacle of his career, however, was when he drew all the interior designs for the new Houses of Parliament in London (Palace of Westminster). St Aidan’s, when built-in 1843, was the largest Cathedral in Ireland. It is dedicated to a local 7th-century monk and is very similar to Pugin’s St Mary’s Cathedral in Killarney. Pugin designed many churches and buildings in England, Ireland, and even as far away as Australia.