These are the interesting and ancient grounds of St Mary’s Church in the beautiful seaside town of Dungarvan. An old ruin of a gable wall stands 32 feet long and 30 feet high on the grounds of the cemetery has 5 peculiar circular opes which have perplexed local historians for years. It now seems that these are the last surviving remains of the old Pre-Reformation Parish Church ‘St. Mary the Virgin’ which dates back to the 1300s. It was probably used as a stable for Cromwell’s horse and destroyed soon after. The beautiful views from here were much admired and painted in the 18th and 19th-century visitors to Dungarvan. The graveyard has many interesting old gravestones including a box tomb commemorating the Ryland family of Dungarvan. There is also a new memorial to mark the site of a mass grave of those who were drowned in the shipwreck of the sailing ship the Moresby in 1895. The pathway through the churchyard was an ancient right-of-way for the fishermen of Boreenatra (English translation “road beside the sea”) to their boats on the quay. The little neo-Tudor style house in the corner of the churchyard is the old Church of Ireland school dated 1846.