A castle with an unusual design built by a Gaelic chief

This State Care Monument is named after Harry Avery O’Neill, a 14th-century local chieftain. The structure is considered unusual because Gaelic chieftains of the time rarely built stone castles and this one also copied many elements from Norman design. It was built at the very end of the Norman period of domination in Ireland in the year 1320. The two towers that look like gatehouses are similar in style to those of Carrickfergus Castle however having the appearance of a gatehouse, this structure was, in fact, a simple tower house. Inside is a large mound which forms the courtyard, a drawbar slot on the main door, and a latrine chute. The castle was also surrounded by a curtain wall, of which only the foundations remain today. This would have contained many wooden buildings such as kitchens and stables in the courtyard