Tully Castle is a fortified tower house with four rectangular corner towers and is located on a beautiful location on the shores of Upper Lough Erne. It was built in 1612 for a Scottish planter called Sir John Hume and has a bloody history! During the Irish Rebellion of 1641 when Irish Catholics rose up against the new Protestant settlers, Rory Maguire set out to recapture his family’s lands. He arrived at Tully Castle with a large following on Christmas Eve and found the castle full of women and children as most of the men were away. Lady Mary Hume surrendered the castle, believing that she had assured a safe conduct for all in her care, but on Christmas Day the Maguires killed 60 women and children and 15 men, sparing only the Humes. The castle was burnt and the Humes never went back.