The Friary on The Hill of Slane is located just outside the village of Slane in County Meath. This historic location was reputedly the location where the Fir Bolg King ‘Sláine’ is buried and also where St. Patrick lit the first paschal fire in defiance of King Laoire in 433. Lighting a fire anywhere in Ireland was forbidden while the king’s festival fire was burning on The Hill of Tara. The King was so impressed by Patrick’s courage that he that let him continue his missionary work in Ireland. Patrick appointed Erc, the King’s servant, as his first Bishop. Erc established a monastery here which existed for hundreds. In 1512 Sir Christopher Flemmyng founded a Fransican Order Friary here. In 1631, Capuchin monks settled in this Friary for about 20 years until Cromwell kicked them out but remained a place of worship up until it was abandoned in 1723. There are also many ‘strange’ theories about it’s alignments with other ancient sites associated with St Patrick that run from Drogheda in co.Louth to Croagh Patrick in co. Mayo. Great views too!