Knappogue Castle is located near the village of Quin in County Clare. It was built around 1467 by Sean MacNamara and is a magnificent example of a medieval tower house. It has a long and varied history from a battlefield to a dwelling place. It became the seat of the MacNamara Clan in 1571 and one of their descendants Donagh MacNamara was a leader of the 1641 rebellion. Besides a brief confiscation during Cromwell’s parliament when it was sold to the Smith family it remained in the MacNamara’s ownership until 1800. It was then sold to the Scott family who started a major restoration and this continued until 1855 when it was acquired by Theobald Fitzwalter Butler, 14th Baron Lord Dunboyne. The Butlers hired the Pain brothers who added the clocktower and gateways to give it a more romantic appearance. In the early 20th century it served as the headquarters of the East Clare Brigade of the IRA after which it fell into disrepair. It was purchased in 1966 by the Hon. Mark Edwin Andrews of Houston Texas who along with his architect wife carried out extensive restoration. It has since been the host to two Irish presidents, as well as other heads of state, including General de Gaulle. Today, the castle is used as a venue for weddings, a distillery and for medieval banquets.