The Cashel Palace Hotel was built in 1732 by Archbishop Theophilus Bolton and was designed by the famous architect Sir Edward Lovett Pearce with a style that mixed ‘Queen Anne’ and ‘Early Georgian’. The red brick on the front and limestone at the rear is a very rare and unusual feature for this period. There is a crowned harp over the entrance which is a fire mark issued by the Hibernian Insurance Company of Dublin. The hotel has magnificent original wood paneling, staircases and superb examples of ‘barley sugar’ Banisters. Over the years it has been used as a palatial home for deans, canons and bishops but was eventually was sold by the church in 1959 to Lord Brockett who opened it as a Luxury Hotel in 1962. The gardens contain the descendants of the original hop plants that was used by Richard Guinness to brew his famous beer and they have a private walkway called ‘The Bishops Walk’ which ran to the nearby Rock of Cashel, the c.13th Cathedral and the ancient seat of the Kings of Munster.