Turlough Round Tower stands on a hillside overlooking the gardens for the National Museum of Country Life. This national monument dates to the c.9th century and is odd looking as it has a lower and fatter cap than most examples although the original pointed cap was replaced in 1880. The church beside it, although built in the 18th century, incorporates a 16th century mullioned window and a small plaque with a crucifixion dated to 1625. It was believed that St. Patrick founded the original monastery here and used the nearby holy well for baptisms. It’s associations with St Patrick led to a long dispute over it’s ownership between the Archbishops of Armagh and Tuam right up to 1351. The Pope himself eventually had to intervene and authorized the rights be relinquished to the Archbishop of Tuam. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, it passed into the possession of the Bourke family and soon after to The Fitzgerald family in 1655.