Dublin City Centre

images of locations in Dublin City Centre

The Molly Malone Statue, Grafton Street (now removed). Dublin City 1988

The Molly Malone Statue was designed by Jeanne Rynhart and based on a popular song of a 17th century fictional character to celebrate Dublin's first millennium in 1988. It tells the tale of a fishmonger [...]

Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin City – founded c.1028

Christ Church Cathedral, founded in c.1028 is one of the finest historical buildings in Ireland. Sitric Silkbeard, (the first Christian Danish king) built a wooden church here in c.1028 as this location was the most [...]

Anna Livia Sculpture, Croppies Memorial Park. Dublin City 1988

The Anna Livia sculpture was originally located on O'Connell Street but was removed in 2001 to make room for the Dublin Spire. She was then 'cleaned up and scrubbed' and relocated to the Croppies Memorial [...]

The O’Connell Monument, O’Connell St. Dublin City -1880 (Dubh Linn-‘Black Pool’)

This Statue was built to commemorate 'the liberator' Daniel O'Connell (1775- 1847) after whom the street was also renamed after Irish independence. O'Connell was born in Kerry and believed in employing peaceful tactics to achieve [...]

The Temple Bar, Temple Bar. Dublin City – est.1840

The Temple Bar is one of the most famous pubs in Dublin. It's history goes back to 1599 when Sir William Temple, a renowned teacher and philosopher, built his house and gardens here on newly [...]

Collins Barracks, Arbour Hill. Dublin City – 1702

The location for Collins Barracks was originally earmarked for a mansion for the Duke of Ormond. It was built in 1702 in a Neoclassical style to the designs of Thomas Burgh and is the oldest [...]

St Audeon’s Church, High Street. Dublin – c.1190

St Audeon's has the distinction of being the only medieval parish church, retaining any original features, still in use within the city of Dublin. It is dedicated to St Ouen the 7th century bishop of [...]

Poolbeg Lighthouse & Great South Wall. Dublin City 1820

This beautiful lighthouse is located at the end of the Great South Wall at the mouth of the River Liffey in Dublin Bay. The original lighthouse was built in 1768 however it was redesigned and [...]

Guinness Storehouse, St James’s Gate. Dublin City – est 1759. built 1902

The building in which the Storehouse is located was constructed in 1902 as a fermentation plant for the St. James's Gate Brewery. It was designed in the style of the Chicago School of Architecture and [...]

The Brazen Head Pub, Bridge St. Lower. Dublin City – est.1198

The Brazen Head claims to be Ireland's oldest pub, dating back to 1198. It is definitely Dublin's oldest however the official title goes to Sean's Bar in Athlone which dates to 900 ad (which was [...]

St Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin City – c.1220 (Dubh Linn-‘Black Pool’)

St.Patrick's Cathedral is the largest church in Ireland and is also reputed to be Ireland's earliest Christian site, where St. Patrick baptized converts. Unusually, Dublin has two cathedrals belonging to the Church of Ireland, which [...]

The Ha’penny Bridge, Wellington Quay. Dublin City – 1816

The Ha'penny bridge was built in 1816 to cross the River Liffey and is one of the oldest cast iron bridges in the World. It's original name was 'The Wellington Bridge' (after the Duke of [...]

The Convention Centre Dublin, Northwall Quay. Dublin City – 2010

The Convention Centre Dublin (CCD) in the Dublin Docklands was opened in September 2010. The glass building overlooks the River Liffey at Spencer Dock. It was designed by the American-Irish architect Kevin Roche. The building [...]

Aviva Stadium, Lansdowne Road. Dublin City – 2010

This stunning building is the Aviva Stadium. It re-opened its doors on 14th May 2010 and has a seated capacity of 51,700. It's increbible roof is designed to undulate in a wave-like manner so as [...]

The Samuel Beckett Bridge, Sir John Rogersons Quay. Dublin City – 2009

This bridge was named after the famous Irish writer Samuel Beckett and designed by the internationally famous Spanish architect, sculpter and engineer, Santiago Calatrava. This is his second bridge to be built in Dublin as [...]

Trinity College Dublin, College Green. Dublin City – 1751

This is the beautiful front of Trinity College facing Dame Street. Until recently it was assumed that architects Henry Keene and John Sanderson were responsible for it's design however newer evidence points to an English [...]

St Patrick’s Tower, Thomas Street. Dublin City – 1757

This former windmill, now known as St Patrick's Tower, was the largest smock windmill in Europe and was used to power the Roe Distillery on Thomas Street in Dublin. George Roe and Company had it's [...]

The Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin City – 1684

The Royal Hospital Kilmainham is the finest 17th-century building in Ireland. It has stunning formal gardens over looking the River Liffey and Phoenix Park. It was built in 1684 by Sir William Robinson as a [...]

Holy Trinity Church, Rathmines. Dublin City – 1828

This church was designed by the famous architect John Semple (1801–1882). Semple shares the same name as his father who was also an architect and both worked for the Board of First Fruits. He also [...]

Mary Immaculate Refuge of Sinners Church, Rathmines. Dublin City – 1854

This impressive church was built in 1854 “in the Greek Style” by Patrick Byrne and was later extended by W.H. Byrne who added the portico and pediment. This pediment is inscribed “Mariae Immaculatae Refugio Pecatorum”. [...]

The Rotunda Hospital, Parnell Street. Dublin City – 1757

The Rotunda Hospital is the oldest continuously operating maternity hospital in the World. It is also estimated that over 300,000 babies were born here and the first caesarean section in Ireland was performed here in [...]

The General Post Office, O’Connell Street. Dublin City – 1814

The General Post Office (GPO) is one of Ireland's most famous buildings and was the last great Georgian style public building erected in the capital. It was built to the designs of Francis Johnson whose [...]

Bank of Ireland, College Green. Dublin City – 1739

The Bank of Ireland at College Green was the World's first purpose-built two-chamber parliament house. It served as both the chambers for the Lords and the Commons for the Irish Parliament of 'The Kingdom of [...]

The Four Courts, Inns Quay. Dublin City – 1776

This site, on the north side of the River Liffey, was formerly the location of a 13th century Dominican Friary and housed the 4 courts of Chancery, Kings Bench, Exchequer and Common Pleas. Before this [...]

Trinity College Campanile, Trinity University. Dublin City – 1853

The campanile (or bell tower) in Trinity College stands nearly 100 foot tall and was built in 1853 to the designs of the famous architect Sir Charles Lanyon. Lanyon's other works include Queens University Belfast, [...]

Central Bank of Ireland, Dame Street. Dublin City – 1980

This highly assertive building is The Central Bank of Ireland, Dame Street. It was designed by Sam Stephenson in 1980 and it attracted a lot of criticism both for its height and original roof line [...]

Embassy of the United States, Ballsbridge. Dublin City – 1964

This striking building is the Embassy of the United States for Dublin and is located in the leafy suburbs of Ballsbridge. It was built between 1962 and 64 and takes it's inspiration from a 5th [...]

St Stephen’s Church, Mount Street Cresent. Dublin City – 1824

This Dublin gem is St Stephen's Church. It was built in 1824 and is fondly known as 'The Pepper Canister' or the 'Pepper Pot Church'. It was originally designed by John Bowden but was completed, [...]

Custom House, Custom Quay. Dublin City – 1791

Custom House Quay is Dublin's most architecturally important building and is regarded as a masterpiece of European Neoclassicism. It was designed by James Gandon (1743 – 1823) who today, is recognized as the leading architect [...]

Dublin Castle Courtyard, Palace Street. Dublin City – 1779

Dublin Castle is located at the highest point in Dublin's centre and so was always the most strategic point for controlling the territory. There is evidence that a 6th century ring fort was located on [...]

Load More Posts