Mary Immaculate Refuge of Sinners Church is located in Rathmines in Dublin City. This impressive church was built in 1854 designed by Patrick Byrne in the Greek Style and was later extended by W.H. Byrne who added the portico and pediment. This pediment is inscribed ‘Mariae Immaculatae Refugio Pecatorum’. It was destroyed by fire in January 1920 but it was rebuilt by 1922. The outstanding feature of the reconstructed church was the massive copper dome making it a new landmark in this part of the city. The new dome was built in Glasgow some time previously and was believed to have been destined for a Russian Orthodox church in St Petersburg prior to the Russian Revolution of 1917. The interior of the church is remarkably bright due to the decision to use clear glass instead of stained glass for the windows after the fire.